History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Docker Hall Farmhouse and Barns Attached on West Side

A Grade II Listed Building in Whittington, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1691 / 54°10'8"N

Longitude: -2.66 / 2°39'35"W

OS Eastings: 357009

OS Northings: 475009

OS Grid: SD570750

Mapcode National: GBR 9NV7.X8

Mapcode Global: WH94V.3GLS

Entry Name: Docker Hall Farmhouse and Barns Attached on West Side

Listing Date: 4 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165304

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182495

Location: Whittington, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Whittington

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Whittington St Michael the Archangel

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Burton

Listing Text

WHITTINGTON
SD 57 NE

1/195 Docker Hall Farmhouse and barns
attached on west side

II

House, early C17th, altered, and barns probably C18th. Sandstone rubble
with steep slate roof. 2 storeys. To the left of the door a 6-pane sash
with plain reveals cuts through a drip course. To the right is a modern
window with cement and stone surround. On the 1st floor are 4 sashed
windows with no glazing bars and plain reveals. On the ground floor there
are the remains of 2 small blocked mullioned windows. On the 1st floor are
2 similar blocked windows. Above the latter a drip course has been cut
back. The door has a rendered surround and an open timber porch. Chimneys
on left-hand gable and to right of door. The rear wall has a 2-storey
lean-to stair projection. At the left is a large projecting chimney stack
with offsets. Interior has stone spiral staircase, now cased in wood. Roof
space said to contain large timbers. Adjoining at right angles to the
right-hand part of the facade is a range of buildings. The left-hand part,
next to the main part of the house, has one bay at the left having rebated
and chamfered window surrounds. Further right is a wide entrance with
plain reveals and timber lintel. Above it is a plaque inscribed:'THM
1721'. At the right on the ground floor is a 2-light window with
architrave and flat-faced mullion. On the 1st floor are breathers. Within
this building is a doorway leading into the house with a re-set moulded
Tudor-arched lintel. Set back slightly to the right is a barn of separate
build. It has a wide entrance with a canopy with cheeks. Above its lintel
on the inside is a re-set stone inscribed: 'WEB 1633'.


Listing NGR: SD5700975009

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.