History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swallow, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5108 / 53°30'38"N

Longitude: -0.2279 / 0°13'40"W

OS Eastings: 517613

OS Northings: 403029

OS Grid: TA176030

Mapcode National: GBR VWVV.G6

Mapcode Global: WHHJ3.G0QW

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 21 December 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165346

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196376

Location: Swallow, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN7

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Swallow

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Swallow Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Laceby

Listing Text

TA 10 SE SWALLOW CAISTOR ROAD
(north side)

2/21 Church of
1.11.66. Holy Trinity

II*

Parish church. Early C12, C13 1868, 1883. Ironstone rubble and
ashlar. Slate roof with decorative red ridge tiles. West tower,
nave with north aisle, south porch, rectangular chancel and north
vestry. 2 stage west tower with early C12 lower stage with
plinth and round headed west door with large impost blocks, C19
tympanum with oculus flanked by beaded tendrils and C20 plank
door. Small round headed light above. C12 buttresses with 2 C19
setoffs visible where tower meets nave on north and south
Bellchamber stage of 1868 with moulded stringcourse and
bellchamber openings on all 4 sides each consisting of a single
round headed opening flanked by plain shafts with cushion
capitals and, on west and east bellopenings, chevron decoration.
Clasping corner pilasters above stringcourse. Corbel table above
and pyramidal aisle roof with weather vane. North aisle of 1883
with ashlar dressed plinth and moulded stringcourse. Pointed
west window with trefoil headed light and trefoil above,
hoodmould and crowned head labelstops. North aisle has 2
rectangular windows, that to west of 2 trefoil headed lights, to
east of 3, both with rectangular hoodmoulds and floral label
stops. Tall Tudor style ashlar chimney at east end of aisle.
Low north vestry with plinth and row of 3 windows with Caenarvon
leads. Chancel of 1868, with low plinth of north side, rising up
on east side to run under pointed 3 light east window with C19
geometric tracery, hoodmould and floral label stops. Coped gable
and finial above. Moulded stringcourse runs beneath 2 pointed
windows on southside of chancel, that to the east with paired
pointed lights and to the west a single cusped pointed light, all
with hoodmoulds and floral labelstops: Large blocked south aisle
chancel arcade to west. East end of nave has buttress with
ashlar dressings and gabled lower setoff. 2 bays of pointed
blocked south arcade visible on south wall of nave, with a
pointed window of 3 trefoil headed lights inserted in east bay
and ornate C19 wooden porch with panelling, battlement decoration
cusped barge boards and finial, in west bay. Porch interior
flanked by wooden benches and has plain pointed double chamfered
doorway with moulded jambs, hoodmould, weathered labelstops and
large corbelhead above. C12 interior tower arch with round head
and plain impost blocks. Early C13 north arcade of 2 bays with
double chamfered pointed arches. Plain semi-circular west
respond supported by rectangular block with chipstar decoration.
Round central pier with plain capital and moulded abacus. Plain
semi-circular east respond supported by rectangular block with
chamfered corners. C13 pointed double chamfered chancel arch
with broad fillet moulding. Plain responds but north capital has
band of chipstar decoration. C19 pointed double chamfered
archway to organ recess and vestry with inner order supported by
corbels and chamfered inter jambs. Small C19 arched doorway to
east with chamfered surround, hoodmould, headlabelstops and plank
door. Chancel has fragmentary freestanding cluster of C12
columns with cushion capitals and C19 bases and plinth C19 nave
and chancel roofs with castellated decoration C12 drum front with
6 elliptical half moons at base. C19 ornate pink marble and
ashlar pulpit. Late C19 lecturn, altar rail and pews. Various
plain C19 monuments.


Listing NGR: TA1761303029

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.