This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1671 / 54°10'1"N
Longitude: -2.6193 / 2°37'9"W
OS Eastings: 359664
OS Northings: 474761
OS Grid: SD596747
Mapcode National: GBR BN47.QZ
Mapcode Global: WH94V.QJX9
Entry Name: Newton Hall
Listing Date: 4 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165374
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182506
Location: Whittington, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6
Civil Parish: Whittington
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Whittington St Michael the Archangel
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 57 SE
4/206 Newton Hall
House, rebuilt probably in 1880s, probably by Paley and Austin. Sandstone
rubble with roofs mainly of slate.; 2 storeys. Main (south-east) front has
a projecting wing at the left and a gabled projection at the right.
Between them is a 2-storey porch. Above the ground-floor windows is a drip
course. Above this course both the porch and the right-hand projection
oversail. The windows are mullioned, some chamfered, some rebated and
chamfered. Their spacing is not completely regular, a result of the
conversion of an earlier house. To the left of the porch are windows of 2
and 4 lights, with 3 ones of 2 lights on the lst floor. To the right is
one bay which has a cross window on the ground floor and one of 2 lights
above. The right-hand gabled projection has 3 adjacent cross windows on
the ground floor and a 4-light window above. The right-hand return wall of
the left-hand wing has a 4-light window on each floor, the lst floor one
under a gable. The 1st floor window of the porch is of 3 lights. The
chamfered doorway has a carved shield of arms over the lintel: both are
enclosed by a hood. The gables have copings with finials. Chimneys on
right-hand gable and on gable of left-hand wing have projecting stacks.
Further chimneys to right of porch and between porch and left-hand wing.
Re-set on the west side of the house and used as a window is a moulded
door architrave with lintel inscribed: '16 ONI 78'. Set into the west wall
of a wing at the rear of the house is a stone inscribed: '1886 NNA'.
Inside, there is a fireplace with a wooden surround in a C17th style,
dated 'l886'. A room in the wing projecting at the west side of the front
has built-in cupboards of re-used panelling, incorporating inscriptions:
'NB 1600'; 'IB 1712'; 'RF 1650'.
Listing NGR: SD5966474761
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings