This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.621 / 53°37'15"N
Longitude: -2.5834 / 2°35'0"W
OS Eastings: 361505
OS Northings: 413987
OS Grid: SD615139
Mapcode National: GBR BVDK.HP
Mapcode Global: WH97L.971X
Entry Name: Brown Low
Listing Date: 22 November 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165420
English Heritage Legacy ID: 184485
Location: Anderton, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6
Civil Parish: Anderton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Adlington St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
The following building shall be added:-
ANDERTON BROWN LOW
SD 61 SW
14/189 New Lane
House with outbuildings. Built 1907 (for C F & L Sixsmith) to designs by Charles
Holden. Coursed and snecked gritstone rubble; stone slab roof with gable coping and
deeply overhanging eaves (shaped rafter ends revealed); smooth ashlar ridge and end
stacks. Single-depth, 3-unit plan with shallow kitchen wing to rear. 2 storeys.
Vernacular Revival (Pennine). Front (to garden): irregular 3-window range. 2, 3
and 4-light windows at eaves level; three 2-light windows to ground; all windows
with flush mullions. Large internal porch under continuous lintel band, with
elliptical relieving arch (the 'tympanum' infilled with very narrow stone courses).
Internal wall of porch with 2-light window and planked door with strap hinges.
Datestone CF&L 1907. Left return: 1st floor, 2-light mullioned window set between
similarly sized panels containing chequered stonework all with continuous sill and
lintel. 1st floor lintel band; two 2-light windows (mullions removed). Irregular
one and 2-light mullioned windows to rear, with late C20 stone porch. One and
2-light windows to right return. Interior contains good Arts & Crafts joinery
(notably doors). Stone and tiled surround to right end fireplace. An interesting
vernacular revival design by a leading architect (by 1907 established in London, but
raised in Bolton). Reference: plans in possession of previous owner.
Listing NGR: SD6150513987
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings