History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Patsalls

A Grade II Listed Building in Chigwell, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6334 / 51°38'0"N

Longitude: 0.1005 / 0°6'1"E

OS Eastings: 545471

OS Northings: 194819

OS Grid: TQ454948

Mapcode National: GBR PX.L1Y

Mapcode Global: VHHMZ.P6JP

Entry Name: Patsalls

Listing Date: 14 April 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165461

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118603

Location: Chigwell, Epping Forest, Essex, IG7

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Chigwell

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Find accommodation in
Chigwell

Listing Text

TQ 49 SE CHIGWELL PUDDING LANE
5/1 Patsalls
14/4/82
- II

Hall house, late medieval, altered in C17, c19 and C20. Mainly timber framed
and plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles, and later sections in stock
brick and red brick, Flemish bond. Aligned approx. NE-SW, end on to Pudding
Lane, consisting of a 2-bay hall with inserted floor, a SW crosswing, early
C17, with a chimney stack at the junction, a later extension beyond in stock
brick with end chimney stack, and a NE crosswing of red brick with 2 chimney
stacks in the SW wall, C19. Lean-to extension to SE of the hall with catslide
roof, and tiled gabled porch, C19. Hall of one storey with attics, the
remainder of 2 storeys. SE elevation. The SW crosswing is jettied, the wall
below the jetty clad in red brick with an oriel window of 7 fixed lights and
one wrought iron casement, ovolo moulded, early C17, and on the first floor
a similar window, restored, flush with the wall. 3 leaded casement windows,
C20, porch with glazed 4-panel door and carved bargeboards with trefoil
piercings anda group of 3 Gothick windows with 4-centred arched heads, leaded
glass, some of it coloured, and marginal lights, C19. First flour, 2 C20 leaded
casement windows and another in a gabled dormer. NW elevation, weatherboarded
on hall, plastered and exposed brick elsewhere. The first floor window of the
SW crosswing is a restored original window, early C17 with 2 ovolo-moulded
mullions and surrounds and an introduced casement. All other windows in this
elevation are C20 leaded casements. The date 1424 is inscribed in modern
plaster in the gable of the SW crosswing. The floor in this crosswing has
exposed joists of horizontal section. The inserted floor in the hall consists
of an axial beam, plain-chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, and exposed joists
of deep section supported on clamps, originally plastered to the soffits. In
the C19 this house became a lodge to Pettits Hall, and much of the treatment
of the SE elevation dates from this phase.


Listing NGR: TQ4547194819

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.