History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brackenborough Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brackenborough with Little Grimsby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3956 / 53°23'44"N

Longitude: -0.0018 / 0°0'6"W

OS Eastings: 532962

OS Northings: 390608

OS Grid: TF329906

Mapcode National: GBR XYF5.DH

Mapcode Global: WHHJL.YX98

Entry Name: Brackenborough Hall

Listing Date: 6 June 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165515

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195455

Location: Brackenborough with Little Grimsby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Brackenborough with Little Gri

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Fotherby St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Louth

Listing Text

BRACKENBOROUGH BRACKENBOROUGH
TF 39 SW HALL DRIVE
3/13 (west side)
6.6.52 Brackenborough Hall
G.V. II*

Small country house. C17, 1733-4, late C18, c.1855-60, C20.
Red brick with painted ashlar dressings. Plain tile and pantile
roofs, hipped to north, with tumbled ashlar coped gables to west
and east, moulded brick eaves with guttering with lion head
motifs, 3 gable stacks with ashlar bands and moulded ashlar
coping, single plain gable stack to rear. 3 hipped dormers with
casements in south front, 2 semi-circular dormers with fixed
glazing bars, on west front; large C20 flat headed dormer on
east front. L-plan. 2 storeys with attics. 5 bay west front of
1733-4 with ashlar dressed plinth and painted ashlar first floor
band. 5 ashlar steps lead up to central doorway with moulded
pediment, entablature with triglyphs and guttae, rusticated
doorcase, overlight and paired panelled doors. Doorway flanked
by 2 windows on each side, lowered in late C18 and given
traceried "Chippendale" upper sashes and plain lower sashes;
brick wedge lintels and raised ashlar keystones of 1733-4. 5
glazing bar sashes above, all with brick wedge lintels and raised
keystones, that over central window with feather motif. West
front with 4 bays of 1733-4 including gabled bay to right and
small brick plinth running to within about a foot of south front.
2 C17 bays attached to left (with plain brick gable stack) and
limestone coursed rubble plinth; and 3 bays of c.1855-60, set
back to left beyond. 4 ashlar steps lead up to doorway to right
with glazed door. Blocked window with segmental head, to left,
with glazing bar sash beyond. Doorway to left, with glazed door
and clear break in brick bonding immediately to left. C20
sliding sash with segmental head to left with giant order C17
brick pilaster on corner beyond. 2 light casement with segmental
head, set back, to left. Blocked window with segmental head
above to right. 4 early C18 glazing bar sashes to left, all with
wooden lintels, and possibly re-set from south front lower
windows when replaced in late C18. C19 glazing bar sash with
wooden lintel, set back to left, and 2 light C20 casement beyond.
East side with small late C19 block built into re-entrant corner,
raised in early C20, with small C20 cloakroom block attached to
right, all with C19 and C20 fenestration. C17 wall set back to
right with limestone and greenstone rubble plinth and giant order
brick pilaster on right hand corner. Large C20 3 light sliding
sash with wooden lintel, with blocked window above. 2 bays, of
c.1855-60 set back to right with C19 and C20 doorway and
fenestration. 3 flight return staircase of 1733-4 with scrolled
tread ends, 3 turned balusters with square knops, to each tread,
moulded hand rail and plain, turned newels. Dining room with .pa
late C18 fielded panelling with fireplace flanked by fluted ionic
pilasters; west doorway with pediment, entablature and eared
doorcase Drawing room and main bedrooms with late C18 fielded
panelling, and all but one bedroom with original shuttering
Large C17 chimney breast in north wing. C18 cellars with Cll
and C20 brickwork. Roof of 1733-4 intact over south wing.
Situated on moated site overlooking site of medieval village to
south.


Listing NGR: TF3296290608

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.