History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Queen's Head Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Tendring, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8047 / 51°48'17"N

Longitude: 1.1547 / 1°9'16"E

OS Eastings: 617589

OS Northings: 216495

OS Grid: TM175164

Mapcode National: GBR TQS.YJZ

Mapcode Global: VHLCY.YWTW

Entry Name: The Queen's Head Hotel

Listing Date: 4 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165532

English Heritage Legacy ID: 119886

Location: Tendring, Essex, CO15

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Town: Tendring

Electoral Ward/Division: St Marys

Built-Up Area: Clacton-on-Sea

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Clacton St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Little Clacton

Listing Text

CLACTON-ON-SEA ST. JOHN'S ROAD,
TM 1716
GREAT CLACTON
(north side)
13/26 The Queen's Head Hotel
GV II
Hotel. C16/C17 or earlier with C18 or later additions and alterations. Timber
framed and rough rendered, plaster panels to North Road. Red plain tiled roofs,
L-plan, hipped with gablet to left. Hipped to right face (North Road). Large
rough rendered chimney stack to rear left, 2 rough rendered stacks to North Road
face. 2 storeys and attics to left range with a flat headed dormer and 3 window
range of various small paned vertically sliding sashes including a ground floor
bay with triparite front window and tripartite window over. Blocked doorway to
left. 2 C20 panelled doors with top lights and flat canopies on brackets to
right. Very large 2 storey 5 light bay window with small paned glazing to
right. Right return, 2 window range of 3 light casements with transoms.
Recessed door in moulded surround with toplight and fanlight. Purchased 1727 by
Daniel Prentice of Yew Trees q.v. 13/27. Documentary evidence relating to the
building c.1600. Kenneth Walker History of Clacton.


Listing NGR: TM1758916495

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.