This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3116 / 50°18'41"N
Longitude: -3.6305 / 3°37'49"W
OS Eastings: 284000
OS Northings: 47010
OS Grid: SX840470
Mapcode National: GBR QQ.FWFF
Mapcode Global: FRA 3886.RFY
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165589
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100029
Location: Strete, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Strete
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Strete St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Church of St Michael
Parish church formerly chapel of ease 1836 by T. Lidstone. Rendered local
slate rubble. Single span Welsh slate roof over nave and aisles with gabled
ends and eaves brackets to moulded cast-iron gutters.
Plan: Nave and aisles under one roof, small sanctuary with vestry in the
north east angle and west tower with entrance on west side.
Perpendicular Gothic style.
Exterior: The integral nave and aisles has shallow buttresses with
weathered set-offs, the corner buttresses are diagonally set. 4 tall 2-
light windows on both north and south sides with 2-central arches, wooded
perpendicular tracery and leaded panes; the easternmost window on the north
side has stained glass and the easternmost south window has been blocked.
Similar windows at west end of both aisles. The small gable-ended sanctuary
at the east end has a moulded 4-centred arch 3-light stone windows with
perpendicular tracery. In the north east angle of the sanctuary and aisle a
lean-to vestry with 2 single-light windows on the east side with ogee
tracery and a 2-centred arch doorway on the north side with a C19 door with
studded covermoulds. The west has 4 stays with a string at each stage,
diagonal buttresses with set-offs and embattled parapet. With short
pinnacles on the corners. Lancet bell-openings with slate louvres. 2-light
2-centred arch west window with perpendicular travery in first stage above
large 2-centred arch west doorway with deep roll mouldings, hoodmould and
C20 studded double doors. On the tower's south west buttress a slate
sundial with a tripartite pointed arch head.
Interior: Complete and intact perpendicular Gothic interior. 4-bay timber
arcades, each pier with 4-shafts and moulded capitals and with moulded 4-
centred arches. Panelled roofs, the principals on corbelled wall posts and
pierced arch braces. The chancel arch has similar pierced arch braces or
spandrels. The walls are plastered.
The furnishing is complete. The benches and choir stalls have trefoiled and
cusped ends and the fronts have cusped panels. The lecturn reading desk,
communion rail and carved wooden reredos are original but the altar appears
to be later. The carved wooden octagonal pulpit is dated 1887, octagonal
Perpendicular style font. The Gothic style again appears to be circa 1860.
Painted texts on metal plates at east ends of aisles.
Stained Glass: East window is circa 1860-70. Easternmost window of north
aisle, late C19 memorial to Matilda Bonsall.
Historical Note: In 1560 an indulgence was granted for the repair of the
chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary but it was allowed to fall into complete
disrepair. The present church was built in 1836 at a cost of about £850 as
a chapel of ease for Blackawton. It became the parish church in 1881 when
Strete was formed into an independent parish.
Source: B.F. Cresswell, Notes on Devon Churches, Deanery of Woodleigh
Listing NGR: SX8400047010
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings