History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Wilfred

A Grade II* Listed Building in Metheringham, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.138 / 53°8'16"N

Longitude: -0.4017 / 0°24'6"W

OS Eastings: 507017

OS Northings: 361288

OS Grid: TF070612

Mapcode National: GBR GQD.783

Mapcode Global: WHGJM.SDX5

Entry Name: Church of St Wilfred

Listing Date: 2 May 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165640

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192312

Location: Metheringham, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN4

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

Civil Parish: Metheringham

Built-Up Area: Metheringham

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Metheringham St Wilfrid

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Metheringham

Listing Text

TF 06 SE METHERINGHAM CHURCH LANE
5/34
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

II*

Parish church. C12, Cl.5, 1601 and C19. After fire in 1599 nave was restored by John
Tirrel. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain tile and lead roofs. Ashlar
coped gables with kneelers. Tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and
chancel. C12 west tower with marks of previous buildings to west now masked by large
C17 buttress. Small stair lights, 2-light C12 bell openings, gargoyles, battlements
and pinnacles. C15 castellated nave with 3, 2-light chamfered mullion windows in
clerestory. North aisle added circa 1870, has 4, 2-light pointed windows, and small
doorway. East window, C19 3-light with flowing tracery. South chancel has small C15,
2-light window with dripmould, and fine C15, 3-light window, originally at east end.
South nave has 3, C19 pointed windows gable porch with stone coping, and fine door
date 1602. Interior has 3-bay nave arcades, with Tuscan Doric columns of 1601
supporting medieval arches. C19 Rood screen, and ogee-headed piscina. Monument to
Sir Thomas and Lucy Skipwith.


Listing NGR: TF0701761288

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.