History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dowsetts

A Grade II Listed Building in Magdalen Laver, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.738 / 51°44'16"N

Longitude: 0.1875 / 0°11'15"E

OS Eastings: 551141

OS Northings: 206627

OS Grid: TL511066

Mapcode National: GBR MGB.SB8

Mapcode Global: VHHMG.6LH0

Entry Name: Dowsetts

Listing Date: 26 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165741

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118107

Location: Magdalen Laver, Epping Forest, Essex, CM16

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Magdalen Laver

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: High Laver with Magdalene Laver and Little Laver

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
North Weald

Listing Text

TL 50 NW MAGDALEN LAVER
5/37 Dowsetts

- II

Hall house, C16, extended in C17, C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roof
thatched. 2 bays aligned approx. N-S, with inserted chimney stack at S end,
now mainly C20 brickwork. Floor inserted in hall and one bay added to S, C17.
Lean-to extension at rear, C19, forming a catslide roof. Lean-to extensions to
N and S, roofed with red clay pantiles, C19. C20 extension to SW. E elevation,
halved door at front of tiled gabled porch, 5 casement windows, all C20, and 2
more in gabled dormers. Some framing exposed internally. Jowled posts, central
tiebeam severed, edge-halved and bridled scarf in E wallplate, clasped pulin
roof with straight wind bracing, lightly smoke-blackened. Inserted floor
consisting of axial beam with unchamfered joists of vertical section supported
on clamps. An indenture in the possession of the owner records a bargain and
sale of the property to Richard Dowsett in 1688, the origin of the name.


Listing NGR: TL5114106627

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.