This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.664 / 52°39'50"N
Longitude: -0.3616 / 0°21'41"W
OS Eastings: 510903
OS Northings: 308623
OS Grid: TF109086
Mapcode National: GBR GX1.ZB4
Mapcode Global: WHGLZ.F91K
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 30 October 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165761
English Heritage Legacy ID: 194648
Location: West Deeping, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, PE6
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: West Deeping
Built-Up Area: West Deeping
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: West Deeping St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 10 NW WEST DEEPING CHURCH LANE
10/262 Church of
30.10.68 St. Andrew
Parish church. Early C13, mid C13, early C14, late C14, C15,
1676, 1803, restored C19. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings, some render, lead and Collyweston slate roofs.
Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch, chancel.
Tall 3 stage C14 tower with clasping angle buttresses, chamfered
string courses, battlemented parapet with crocketed angle
pinnacles and set back crocketed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes.
C15 belfry lights having 2 cusped openings under 4 centred arch
and hood. In the south wall a rectangular window to middle stage
with chamfered surround, continuously wave moulded west door with
hood and above a 2 light window now with C19 tracery and a
trilobe headed niche. Nave and north aisle have plain parapets.
In the north wall a blocked segmental headed doorway with moulded
hood. 2 late C14 2 light windows in 4 centred arched surround.
Mid C13 2 light window with plate traceried circle. The 4
clerestory lights match the late C14 ones below. North wall of
chancel has a C14 chamfered doorway and 2 early C14 Y traceried
windows with cusped heads. Chancel has a C19 ball flower cornice
and Collyweston roof. C19 3 light east window in C14 style. In
the south wall are 2 windows matching those to the north. In
the south aisle are 2 two light windows with cusped ogee heads
having blank recessed spandrels, probably unfinished and beyond
the porch a mid C13 plate traceried 2 light window with circle
over. Gabled C19 south porch has double chamfered outer arch and
inside a single chamfered C13 doorway. Interior. Early C13 3
bay nave arcades, 2 of the northern arches still rounded, all
double chamfered with circular piers, moulded abaci and responds.
Massive triple chamfered C14 tower arch. Nave roof of 1676
repaired 1803 has tie beams with king posts to canted principals,
moulded purlins, fleuron wall plate frieze and C14 corbels and
canted end trusses. In the south aisle a cusped ogee headed
piscina and in the north a pair of statue brackets flanks a
cusped headed niche. C13 double chamfered chancel arch with
circular responds and capitals. To the south a squint. Chancel
remade in C19, but in the south wall is a C13 triple sedilia with
circular shafts and moulded arches, and beyond a contemporary
piscina with cusped arched head and gablette. The walls have
extensive tiled and painted decoration and the panelled ceiling
has painted symbols of the passion. Tall stone reredos with
mosaic panels and central gabled cross. Fittings. Fine
candelabrum dated 1770 with 2 tiers of candles. All other
fittings are C19 except the early C14 font, standing on an
octagonal base with blank pointed arches, fleuron frieze to base
of octagonal bowl and heraldic shields to the sides and chevrons
to the angles. Monuments. In south aisle are 4 wall plaques to
the Figg family, 1729, 1762, 1792, 1827. 2 have open pediments
with escutcheons, one has scagliola columns and the last an
obelisk plus urn.
Listing NGR: TF1090308623
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings