History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Botolph

A Grade I Listed Building in Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4162 / 53°24'58"N

Longitude: 0.1652 / 0°9'54"E

OS Eastings: 543996

OS Northings: 393225

OS Grid: TF439932

Mapcode National: GBR YXLY.K3

Mapcode Global: WHJKT.HDWF

Entry Name: Church of St Botolph

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165864

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195503

Location: Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Have

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Saltfleetby St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Saltfleet

Listing Text

SKIDBROOKE AND
TF 49 SW SALTFLEET HAVEN CHURCH LANE
(south-east side)
5/61 Church of
St. Botolph
9.3.67 I

Parish church, now redundant. Early C13, C14, C15, 1854, 1871,
C20. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar, limestone ashlar
dressings, some red brick, some render. Slate roofs of 1854,
with stone coped gables and cross finials; ashlar coped brick
parapets on aisles and east gable of nave, red brick patched
eaves on clerestory. West tower, nave with north and south
aisles and south porch, chancel. Mid C14 west tower with lower
C13 east wall. Moulded plinth and string course, and 6 stage
angle buttresses. Pointed west doorway with richly moulded head
and jambs in one, hood mould and medieval door with cusping on
pointed head, ribs with studs and rectangular opening with grille
three-quarters of the way up. Pointed window above with 3 cusped
ogee headed lights, panel tracery, hood mould and weathered head
label stops. Moulded string course above with pointed window
above on west, north and south sides with hood mould only visible
on east side. Each window with 2 cusped, pointed lights, 3
mouchettes, hood mould and weathered head label stops. Bell
openings on all four sides, each with a pointed head, 2 cusped
ogee headed lights, panel tracery, hood mould and weathered head
label stops. Moulded eaves above with projecting corner
gargoyles. Battlements with weathered plain corner pinnacles.
West end of north aisle with pointed C13 window with lower
sections of 2 damaged mullions and upper C20 wooden cross mullion
window inserted. Hood mould and weathered head label stops.
North aisle divided into 3 bays by 4 two stage buttresses with
cusped and gabled upper terminations. Moulded plinth.
Rectangular window to west with 3 pointed, cusped lights with
hood mould. C13 doorway to east with pointed, double chamfered
head, double chamfered jambs, hood mould and plank doors.
Rectangular window to east with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights,
reticulated tracery and hood mould. Some brick patching to east
and west. East end of north aisle with plinth and rectangular
window with 4 pointed lights with restored heads, flanked by 2
stage buttresses. Above buttress to left, remnants of blocked
C13 pointed window or archway. C15 clerestory of limestone
ashlar with 4 windows partially restored in C19, with flattened
triangular heads, 3 cusped and pointed lights and hood mould.
North side of chancel with rectangular C15 window to west of 3
pointed lights. Brick, 2 stage buttress to east with plain
corbel set in wall immediately to east. East end with 2 stage
angle buttresses flanking large, pointed late C15 window with
bowtell moulded surround, 5 pointed, cusped lights, rich panel
tracery with transom, hood mould with weathered head label stops
and restored mullions. South side of chancel with 2 stage
buttresses flanking a rectangular window to east with 3
triangular headed lights and hood mould and C13 blocked pointed
doorway to west with chamfered head and jambs partially exposed.
Rectangular window to west with 3 pointed lights. East end of
south aisle with plinth and single 2 stage buttresses flanking
rectangular window with 3 pointed lights, hood mould and
weathered head label stops. Immediately above right hand
buttress remain 2 voussoirs of C13 window or archway with pointed
head. South side of aisle with 3 stage buttresses alternating
with 2 rectangular windows with undeveloped ogee heads with
cusping. Gabled porch to west restored in 1871 with south
doorway with pointed, double chamfered head dying into
rectangular jambs, double openwork doors with pointed tracery,
and corbel and inscribed plaque above. Porch interior with early
C13 pointed south doorway with double chamfered head and jambs,
moulded imposts, hood mould with bold dogtooth decoration, head
label stops and plank door. Rectangular C14 window to west of
porch with 3 cusped ogee headed lights. West end of south aisle
with pointed early C13 window with C14 cusped tracery inserted,
restored in C19, hood mould and weathered head label stops. C15
clerestory with 4 windows with flattened triangular heads and 3
lights with irregularly shaped cusped heads. Moulded eaves with
fragmentary gargoyles. Mid C14 interior tower arch with double
chamfered, pointed head dying into rectangular jambs. Large
rectangular sections of C13 west end wall pre-dating arcades, set
in corners between tower arch and north and south arcades.
Fragmentary moulded string courses on north and south faces of
C13 masonry. Early C13 north and south arcades of 4 bays. Both
with tall octagonal plinths with broaches, moulded octagonal
bases, octagonal piers and polygonal responds. North arcade
capitals, plain. South arcade capitals with exception of western
respond, with crocket capitals of various designs. Double
chamfered pointed heads with remnants of painted decoration
adhering on both north and south arcades. Early C13 chancel arch
with keeled responds, pointed head with chamfered outer order and
roll moulded inner order, damaged plain capitals and moulded
abaci intact to east. Chancel arch flanked by outline of pointed
C13 openings, possibly to eastern aisles, and faint outline of
gable, pre-dating aisles, above chancel arch. North wall of
chancel with rectangular aumbry to east, and carved stone with
triangular head re-set to west. South side of chancel with
blocked C13 piscina with pointed head to east and damaged sedilia
with Caernarvon head to west with stone with shield inscribed IHS
set inside. East window flanked by single large grotesque corbel
heads painted white. C19 altar rail. Gravestone set in chancel
floor to vicar of parish, died 1413, with near illegible
inscription running round. 2 gravestones set in nave before
chancel arch to members of the Wheddale family, died 1737, 1799.
South aisle of nave with grotesque corbel head set into east
wall. Below, a fragment with carved decoration and deeply
moulded edge set into wall. Below on floor a crudely inscribed
upper section of gravestone with tonsored head and shoulders of
priest with hands in prayer. Another medieval gravestone to
south with inscribed cross with crude fleur-de-lys type
terminations. Slab beyond with indentation of brasses now
removed. Early C13 octagonal font on octagonal base. Several
C19 and early C20 monuments. C19 and C20 roofs, that over nave
with cusped tie beams.


Listing NGR: TF4399493227

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Old Vicarage
    Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
  • II Seabank House
    Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
  • II Methodist Chapel
    Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
  • II The Manor House
    Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
  • II Pump
    Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
  • II Windmill
    Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
  • II The New Inn
    Skidbrooke with Saltfleet Haven, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.