This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6497 / 51°38'59"N
Longitude: 0.1783 / 0°10'41"E
OS Eastings: 550798
OS Northings: 196794
OS Grid: TQ507967
Mapcode National: GBR SD.MM8
Mapcode Global: VHHMV.1SMP
Entry Name: Albyns Manor
Listing Date: 29 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165902
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118679
Location: Stapleford Abbotts, Epping Forest, Essex, RM4
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Stapleford Abbotts
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Stapleford Abbotts
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 59 NW STAPLEFORD ABBOTTS Albyns Manor
Former service range, early C17, of mansion of Albyns (demolished 1955),
converted to house in C20. Red brick, English bond, roofed with handmade red
clay tiles. Aligned approx. N-S with crosswing at N end, internal and external
rear chimney stacks irregularly disposed. Crosswing at S end, C20, not
symmetrical, and single-storey lean-to extension to W of it. 2 storeys with
attics. W elevation, boarded door in restored stone surround with Tudor arch.
Windows of 8, 4 and 8 lights respectively, with ovolo-moulded wooden mullions
and transomes, restored; C20 leaded metal casements in C17 style, cement-
rendered surrounds. First floor, windows of 4, 2, 2 and 4 lights respectively
with ovolo-moulded wooden mullions. C20 leaded casements in C17 style, cement-
rendered surrounds. (Of the 2 groups of 4, one light of each is blocked).
All these windows are substantially C17 in general appearance, with some
restoration of good quality. String course at first floor level. Diagonal
shafts, C19/20 on original stacks". The N elevation and part of the W elevation
of the N crosswing have been refaced in later brickwork of Flemish bond where
adjoining buildings have been removed, leaving an original gable exposed, with
stone copings and one original 2-light window of moulded brickwork at attic
level. The interior incorporates parts of the staircase removed from the
mansion of Albyns. Described as the stables by RCHM 2.
Listing NGR: TQ5079896794
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings