History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garden Pavillion and Wall Approximately 50 Metres West of Albyns Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Stapleford Abbotts, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6497 / 51°38'58"N

Longitude: 0.1769 / 0°10'36"E

OS Eastings: 550703

OS Northings: 196785

OS Grid: TQ507967

Mapcode National: GBR SD.M9D

Mapcode Global: VHHMV.0SWQ

Entry Name: Garden Pavillion and Wall Approximately 50 Metres West of Albyns Manor

Listing Date: 29 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165908

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118681

Location: Stapleford Abbotts, Epping Forest, Essex, RM4

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Stapleford Abbotts

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stapleford Abbotts

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Theydon Bois

Listing Text

TQ 59 NW STAPLEFORD ABBOTTS Garden pavillian
3/5 and wall approx
50 metres W of
Albyns manor
GV II

Garden pavilion, late C17, and wall, C17/18. Red brick, Flemish bond, limestone
dressings, felted wooden roof. Pavilion square in plan with open side to S,
one window in N side, and wall extending to ENE approx. 36 metres, with bay
to N approximately in the middle. Pavilion has C20 double glazed doors, on
each side a dwarf wall with stone baluster above, architrave with triglyphs,
cornice, ogival roof terminating in wrought iron weathervane, damaged. Traces
of original lead roofing at top, the rest felted. Stone quoins alternating
with brickwork. String course, architrave and cornice on all 4 sides. In N
side one window of 2 lights, hollow-moulded mullion and surround, C20 leaded
glass. Brick gate pier bonded ir W side, with scrolled stone head. Wall of
brickwork with stone coping, 1.5 to 2 metres high, the central bay forming a
balustrade. 2 gadrooned ball finials in situ. Terrace with swimming pool to
S. These garden features are all that survives of the former Albyns mansion,
early C17, recorded by RCHM c.1920, demolished c.1955, apart from removed
internal features.


Listing NGR: TQ5070396785

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.