History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Niven House, Pump, Wall, Gate Piers, Stable and Coach House

A Grade II Listed Building in Riseholme, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2647 / 53°15'53"N

Longitude: -0.5259 / 0°31'33"W

OS Eastings: 498418

OS Northings: 375206

OS Grid: SK984752

Mapcode National: GBR SZRP.YD

Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.W6RJ

Entry Name: Niven House, Pump, Wall, Gate Piers, Stable and Coach House

Listing Date: 21 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165916

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196929

Location: Riseholme, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN2

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Riseholme

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Riseholme St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Burton

Listing Text

SK 97 NE RISEHOLME RISEHOLME LANE

4/58 Niven House, Pump,
Wall, Gate Piers,
Stable and Coach
House

II

Former rectory, now offices, pump, wall, gate piers, stable and
coach house. 1856. By S. S. Teulon. Yellow brick with ashlar
and red brick dressings and polychromatic work. Slate roofs with
2 wall and 2 ridge brick stacks. L-plan. 3 bay 2 storey front,
each bay gabled, the outer bays with small half hips and swept
down to the eaves. Red brick plinth and flush first floor band;
the eaves had red brick dentillated course. The central planked
door is set in a pointed doorway in a single storey projecting
gabled porch. Above the door is a recessed circular ashlar panel
with the monogram WEK. To the right is a single plain sash, to
the left is a single smaller similar window and beyond a stepped
buttress. To the first floor are 3 further sashes. All windows
have curved corners, figured ashlar lintels with polychromatic
brick relieving arches. Above the upper central window is a
glazed quatrefoil. To the right hand side is a canted bay with
hipped slate roof. The left hand side of 10 bays has at the
right hand end a small square recessed panel bearing the date of
1856. To right is a pointed fixed light with decorated arch over.
To left are 5 plain sashes with beyond a further pointed light;
the right hand sash is contained in a slightly projecting bay
which rises through 2 storeys and terminates in a swept and
facetted roof. To the first floor are 5 further sashes, the
right hand pair being individually gabled. To the right of the
facade a shouldered chimney rises with a brick decorative strip.
The remaining 4 bays to the left of the facade are in a lower
service wing in a plainer style. C19 iron pump in wooden gabled
box is attached to this service wing, and a low wall with 2
square gate piers, with shallow pyramidal tops links a single
storey gabled stable and coach house having a single shaped gable
stack. The interior has been modernised in C20 but retains its
dogleg stair with moulded hardwood handrail and newel posts.


Listing NGR: SK9841875206

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.