History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stapleford Abbotts, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6296 / 51°37'46"N

Longitude: 0.1656 / 0°9'56"E

OS Eastings: 549988

OS Northings: 194530

OS Grid: TQ499945

Mapcode National: GBR RL.Y68

Mapcode Global: VHHN0.T9FL

Entry Name: The Old School House

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165920

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118683

Location: Stapleford Abbotts, Epping Forest, Essex, RM4

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Stapleford Abbotts

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stapleford Abbotts

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Romford

Listing Text

TQ 49 SE STAPLEFORD ABBOTTS BOURNEBRIDGE LANE
5/41 The Old School
House
20.2.67
- II II

School, 1734, converted to house. Red and blue brick, Flemish bond, partly
plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Rectangular plan, internal
chimney stacks at E and N, aspect S. 2-storey lean-to extension to rear,
forming a catslide roof, C18/19, and smaller single-storey extension beyond,
C20. Lean-to porch on E wall, C20. 2 storeys. The original brickwork has
red stretchers and blue flared headers in a regular pattern. Side walls
plastered in C20. Central door with 6 fielded panels, simple doorcase with
dentilled hood and shaped brackets with guttae. 4-window range of C20 casements
under segmental brick arches of alternate red and blue bricks. Band at first-
floor level of 2 courses of red stretchers sandwiching one course of blue
headers, terminating short of the returns. Recessed stone plaque with moulded
border above door with inscription 'Glory to God. Knolls Hill Free School for
teaching poor children to read and write, erected and endowed at the sole
expence of the Honourable Sir John Fortescue (etc) 1734'. Hipped roof.
Unspoiled symmetrical elevation of unusual simple dignity. Reported to have
been in use as a school until the C20.


Listing NGR: TQ4998894530

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.