History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II Listed Building in Stapleford Abbotts, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6439 / 51°38'37"N

Longitude: 0.1678 / 0°10'4"E

OS Eastings: 550094

OS Northings: 196122

OS Grid: TQ500961

Mapcode National: GBR RL.4YZ

Mapcode Global: VHHMT.VYL5

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165922

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118685

Location: Stapleford Abbotts, Epping Forest, Essex, RM4

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Stapleford Abbotts

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stapleford Abbotts

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Theydon Bois

Listing Text

TQ 59 NW STAPLEFORD ABBOTTS CHURCH LANE
3/9 Parish Church of
20.2.67 St. Mary the
Virgin (formerly listed
as Church of St Mary)

II

Parish church, mainly rebuilt in C19, retaining C17 N chapel and interior
features from C14 onwards. Nave and chancel of random stone with limestone
dressings, W tower of stock brick with limestone dressings, N chapel of red
brick, English bond, roofs of red clay tiles. N chapel 1638, W tower 1815,
nave, chancel, vestry and S porch 1862 by T. Jekyll of Norwich. E window, 3
N windows, 2 S windows and W window have geometrical tracery. The N or Abdy
chapel has a small E lobby, with segmental-headed outer and inner doorways,
plastered; above the latter is a date 1638 in brickwork. In the N and W walls
are original round-headed windows, the arches externally of brick, the remainder
plastered. External eaves cornice, cement-rendered. Coved ceiling. Original
panelled door in outer doorway of lobby. In the E window of the C19 vestry,
early C14 glass, with figure of St. Edward the Confessor holding a ring. In
chancel, reset piscina with pointed head and foiled drain, C14. Pulpit late
C16, hexagonal, sides panelled with arched heads and moulded pendants, arabesque
frieze to cornice. In W tower, wall monument to Francis Stonard, 1604, and
Lucye (Higham) his wife, 1596, also to Henry Stonard his brother, 1555, marble
and slate tablet and panels of a larger monument with shield of arms. 3
cartouches of arms, C17, restored. Wall monument to Sir John Abdy, 1758, with
large putto, oval medallion, portrait, and broken pediment on brackets.


Listing NGR: TQ5009496122

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.