History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Hilary

A Grade II Listed Building in Spridlington, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3481 / 53°20'53"N

Longitude: -0.4873 / 0°29'14"W

OS Eastings: 500796

OS Northings: 384535

OS Grid: TF007845

Mapcode National: GBR TY1Q.9H

Mapcode Global: WHGHM.H35L

Entry Name: Church of St Hilary

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Last Amended: 21 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165996

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196942

Location: Spridlington, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Spridlington

Built-Up Area: Spridlington

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Spridlington St Hilary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Hackthorn

Listing Text

TF 08 SW SPRIDLINGTON CHURCH HILL

2/71 Church of
St. Hilary
30.11.66

G.V. II

Parish church. 1875 by James Fowler of Louth. Coursed limestone
rubble with ashlar dressings, plain tiled roof having stone coped
gables and crosses fleury. At the north west angle of the nave
is an entrance tower, nave and chancel are undivided. The church
is all in the late C13 style with plinth, moulded string courses
and stepped buttresses. The west end of the nave has 3 pairs of
2 light windows with quatrefoils over and a continuous hood
mould. Above is a large circular window with 8 quatrefoils
arranged around a central cusped light. In the gable is a small
trefoil headed light. The north west tower, is in the form of a
campanile, in 4 stages with a gabled roof with gargoyles to the
angles of the tower. The west elevation has single windows to
ground and first floor. The belfry stage has tall paired louvred
lights with blank arches beneath and quatrefoils over. To the
gables are single pointed lights and above a low relief cross.
The north side of the tower has a door in a C13 style with triple
shafts to the reveals, a moulded head and is flanked by single
narrow blank arches, the outer reveals of which are wall shafts
springing from corbels with grotesque beasts on the underside.
Above the door a trefoil headed niche contains a carving of the
Good Shepherd with side shafts supporting a canopy bearing the
Sacred Monogram with floriated top. Above again is an open face
clock. The east side of the tower matches the west but also has
a facetted projecting stair turret. The nave has 2 paired
windows with quatrefoil, hood moulds and label stops. The
chancel has a priests' door with single nook shafts, moulded head
and hood mould. In the tympanum is a half length carving of St.
Hilary as a Bishop holding a bible, with a Greek inscription.
Above, to either side, are single trefoil headed lights. The
east window is 3 light with trilobed heads, central sexfoil with
cusped margins to circular frame, flanked by single trefoils.
Above in the gable is a single trefoil beaded light. In the
plinth is the foundation stone dated '1874'. The south side
matches the north apart from one additional 2 light window and a
projection for the organ. Interior. In the tower is a vestibule
with panelled ceiling, it contains the stair door and pointed
headed inner doorway with moulded head and pierced geometric
decoration in the tympanum, featuring stained glass panels. The
chancel is divided from the nave by a low stone cancellum screen,
in the centre of which are fine wrought iron gates with scrolls
and leafed terminals. The nave roof is an open arch braced type
which as it enters the chancel is boarded in with painted panels
bearing the sacred monogram in Latin and Greek. The moulded wall
plate is interrupted by carved human head corbels at the feet of
the principals. Fittings. Vestry screen, organ screen, pulpit,
choir stalls, readers desk, all have intersecting arcades,
foliage and angels, in C13 style. The fine reredos and altar are
in painted and gilded wood, with ogee arches. The organ is
painted to match. The octagonal font has quatrefoils and
triangles in the upper panels; the wooden lid has elaborate
wrought iron mountings. Monuments. On the south wall of the
nave is a wall tablet with cross and sabre to F. Hutton d.1864.
At the west end is a cast bronze portrait plaque to Michael
Hutton k.1941. Also a square brass plaque recording the
consecreation of the Church in 1875 to the memory of Rev. Henry
Hutton.


Listing NGR: TF0079684535

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.