History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Luke

A Grade II Listed Building in Holton Le Moor, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.466 / 53°27'57"N

Longitude: -0.3714 / 0°22'16"W

OS Eastings: 508212

OS Northings: 397820

OS Grid: TF082978

Mapcode National: GBR TXVC.D7

Mapcode Global: WHGH3.84DQ

Entry Name: Church of Saint Luke

Listing Date: 1 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166017

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196490

Location: Holton Le Moor, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN7

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Holton le Moor

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Holton-le-Moor

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Thornton le Moor

Listing Text

TF 09 NE HOLTON LE MOOR CHURCH LANE
(south side)
5/9 Church of
1-11-66 Saint Luke

G.V. II

Parish Church, Cll, C13, 1854 restoration and rebuilding by
George Place; 1926 alteration and addition by H.G. Gamble,
unfinished; Coursed rubble ironstone, ashlar dressings, red
brick, slate roofs with stone coped gables. Nave, south aisle
and porch, south chapel, chancel, vestry, organ chamber. The
south aisle is the original nave and has a gabled roof which
terminates in a western gabled ashlar C19 bellcote with twin
openings. The west end of the aisle has 2 stepped buttresses
and 2 tall C19 lancets; in the return on the north side of the
aisle is a carved C13 gravestone built into the wall. The west
end of the nave is in brick and has 2 C20 lancets. The vestry
is in ironstone and has a C20 lancet and a C20 Tudor style door
opening. The vestry and organ chamber were obviously intended
to be joined to form a north aisle but this has been left
unfinished and the temporary walls are in brick, toothed out to
take an ironstone extension. The north side of the nave has 2
three light C20 windows in perpendicular style. The organ
chamber has a C20 lancet, a large opening, blocked by brick, and
a C20 Tudor door opening. The east end is in brickwork, the
flanking walls are in ironstone, again toothed out showing that
the nave was intended to be extended. The east window is a C20
5 light in Perpendicular style. The east window of the south
chapel is C19 3 light and the south side has a 2 light window, a
door and a lancet, all in the Early English style. The south
aisle has 2 C19 two light window and a single lancet. The C19
south porch leads to the Saxo Norman south door, possibly reset
during the 1854 restoration; it is very low with plain imposts,
slightly chamfered at their lower edge and has a semi circular
arch with crudely cut tympanum. The interior; the 3 bay south
arcade has C20 octagonal columns. The nave is entirely plain,
and all fittings are C19 or C20. In the west end of the south
aisle is a C13 capital inverted and set into the wall, used
originally as a font. The hexagonal font is now a C20
reconstruction using some C12 fragments of a circular tub with
cable moulding round the top. The south chapel walls are
painted with stencil decoration and texts. The stained glass at
the east end dates from 1893. In the vestry are 5 wall tablets
to the Dixon family dating from late C18 to early C19.


Listing NGR: TF0821297820

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.