History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Langford Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Langford, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7508 / 51°45'2"N

Longitude: 0.6617 / 0°39'42"E

OS Eastings: 583826

OS Northings: 209139

OS Grid: TL838091

Mapcode National: GBR QLY.04C

Mapcode Global: VHJK5.F856

Entry Name: Langford Hall

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Last Amended: 12 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166031

English Heritage Legacy ID: 119033

Location: Langford, Maldon, Essex, CM9

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Langford

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Langford St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Heybridge

Listing Text

In the entry for LANGFORD LANGFORD ROAD

3/15
Langford Hall

the address shall be amended to read WITHAM ROAD

Langford Hall

------------------------------------

TL 80 NW LANGFORD LANGFORD ROAD

3/15
Langford Hall
10.1.53

GV II

House. C17 or earlier with circa 1700 and 1748 red and black brick facade.
Hipped red plain tiled roof with 3 gabled dormers. 3 red brick chimney stacks.
2 storeys and attics. The brickwork symmetrical with the 3 centre bays breaking
forward. L-plan. Modillioned eaves cornice. 2:3:1 window range of small paned
vertically sliding sashes. Gauged brick arches. Fine central doorway, columns
of Tuscan order, but triglyphs and metopes to frieze, dentilled and moulded flat
canopy, reveal panels. 2 panelled door with glazing bars to top lights. The E
face adjoins the road and is of 6 window range of mainly diamond leaded cross
transoms, some with original hinges. Interior features include panelled dado to
entrance hall, a 4 panelled door with semi-circular light over, moulded
surround, frieze and canopy leads to the dogleg staircase with moulded handrail
and turned balusters, panelled newel, panelling to walls. Moulded wainscot and
architraves to 4 panelled doors. Servants bells intact. At one time the home
of Lord Byron. Remains of moat to SW. RCHM 2.


Listing NGR: TL8382609139

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.