History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tiptree Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Braxted, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7983 / 51°47'54"N

Longitude: 0.7184 / 0°43'6"E

OS Eastings: 587542

OS Northings: 214571

OS Grid: TL875145

Mapcode National: GBR QLF.8F7

Mapcode Global: VHKGG.D2N7

Entry Name: Tiptree Priory

Listing Date: 7 May 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166055

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118911

Location: Great Braxted, Maldon, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Great Braxted

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Braxted All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Totham

Listing Text

TL 81 NE GREAT BRAXTED BRAXTED PARK ROAD

4/67 (16/405) Tiptree Priory (formerly
listed in Tiptree Parish
Lexden & Winstree
District.
7.5.85

GV II*

C12 Priory wall fragment. House. Circa 1570 with circa 1600 rear stair turret
and later alterations and additions to rear. Red brick with some plaster
dressings. Red plain tiled roof with projecting eaves. 2 storeys and attic. A
tall, narrow building, the remaining half of a longer range, which may have had
end crosswings. Rear left angled stair turret. Stone coping to parapet verges.
Moulded and plastered bands above and below first floor windows. The top band
continues through to stair turret. Fine 5 window range of large moulded 4 light
mullioned and transomed windows excepting 5 light first floor right, those to
first floor with moulded and plastered surrounds and labels, those to ground
floor with brick surrounds and labels. Some windows appear to be in their
original positions but those to left are reset. Traces of a former gable can be
seen first floor left and traces of a former door at ground level. The 2nd left
ground floor window has been blocked and double doors of 2 panels with top
lights under a moulded brick segmental head inserted. Gabled left and right
returns with 3 similar windows of 3 or 4 lights, that to attic with label over
and ground floor without a transom. 3 similar 2 light windows without transoms
or labels to stair turret return and rear. 4 horizontal sliding sashes to rear
attics. Square leaded glazing to windows, those to first floor front each with
an iron casement with wrought ornamental latch. Right and left gable apex red
brick chimney stacks. Rear restored chimney stacks with 3 octagonal shafts and
one other rear stack. Adjoining the right angle of the house and in
continuation of the front is a brick doorway with moulded jambs and 4 centred
arch, moulded pediment on small brackets, this at one time was probably the main
doorway and has a short stretch of brickwork to the right. To the rear of this
feature and continuing through to the rear of the main building is a wall of
flint rubble, puddingstone and brick. Set in this wall to the right is a large
blocked C16 fireplace with moulded jambs and 4 centred arch. This wall has
recently been capped and a window inserted. There is a modern doorway by the
house. Sections of this wall were visible in the house during redecorations.
It relates to the C12 Black Canons, or Augustine Priory of Sts. Mary and
Nicholas, founded by a member of the Tregoz family. After the suppression in
1525 it was granted to Cardinal Wolsey who on 10 February 1526 granted it to
Cardinals College Oxford and then to Ipswich. It later reverted to the Crown
and thence in 1547 to Thos. Darcy whose decendants probably built the present
house. Most of the interior features are heavily restored or modern. A
restored fireplace has an ashwell, a closet arch has been raised. There are
some Victorian cast iron fire surrounds. A brewhouse, dairy and outbuildings
have been incorporated at rear. Some stone slab and brick floors. Some 6
panelled doors and a range of servants bells. RCHM 2.


Listing NGR: TL8754214571

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.