History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blessed Lady and St Joseph Chapel and House

A Grade II Listed Building in Osgodby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4192 / 53°25'9"N

Longitude: -0.3825 / 0°22'57"W

OS Eastings: 507591

OS Northings: 392598

OS Grid: TF075925

Mapcode National: GBR TXRX.Z0

Mapcode Global: WHGH9.3B33

Entry Name: Blessed Lady and St Joseph Chapel and House

Listing Date: 9 February 1976

Last Amended: 3 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166103

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196517

Location: Osgodby, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Osgodby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkby with Kingerby St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
North Owersby

Listing Text

TF 09 SE OSGODBY MAIN STREET
(south side)
8/37
Blessed Lady and St. Joseph
9-2-76 Chapel and house. (Formerly listed
as St. Joseph's R.C. Chapel and
subsequently amended to Osgodby
Penal Days Mass House)

II
Roman Catholic Chapel and former priests house; 1793 with
alterations and additions of circa 1850. Red brick, pantile roof
with stone coped gables and kneelers with brick end and ridge
stacks. Originally L shaped plan, with chapel occupying 1st
floor of longer wing; extended to T shape in 1850. The facade
containing the chapel is 2 storey with dentillated eaves, and of
5 bays. The chapel entrance door is 1/2 glazed and panelled and
covered by a small timber porch with a gable topped by a cross.
To the left is a plain door with 3 paned overlight and to the
right a further 4 panelled door flanked by 2 glazing bar sashes.
All ground floor openings have shallow segmental heads. To the
1st floor are 5 semi-circular headed openings that at the left
hand end is a blank, the 3 central windows have 5 panes and the
right hand end window has glazing bars. The house front has 3
bays with glazing bar sashes with segmental heads, and a further
bay of 1850 with 2 similar windows. Interior: the saircase up
to the 1st floor chapel has fine thin turned balusters which are
matched by the gallery balustrade at the rear of the chapel.
This has a triple arched opening the central one being fully open
the outer 2balustraded, with a pair of reeded Doric columns
supporting a low semi-circular arch flanked by wider taller
arches terminating on reeded pilasters. The C19 marble altar
table and reredos is surrounded by an altar rail again matching
the stairs, flanked by single doors with Gothick traceried
panels and rolled architraves. All the windows have panelled
reveals and 2 contain stained glass of 1890 which has been
brought from elsewhere. The pews are late C19 and plain and
there also C19 statue pillars and statues. The interior of the
house is plain but it has stair balusters which match those in
the chapel.


Listing NGR: TF0759192598

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.