History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II Listed Building in Osgodby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4282 / 53°25'41"N

Longitude: -0.3538 / 0°21'13"W

OS Eastings: 509479

OS Northings: 393643

OS Grid: TF094936

Mapcode National: GBR TXZS.6S

Mapcode Global: WHGH9.J3R5

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 1 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166119

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196519

Location: Osgodby, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Osgodby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Usselby St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Usselby

Listing Text

TF 09 SE, OSGODBY, USSELBY,

8/39,

Church of St Margaret

1-11-66

II

Parish Church; C14, 1749 and alterations in 1889 by Hodgson
Fowler of Sheffield. The masonry is clearly medieval but no
details survive. Coursed ironstone rubble with red brick and
ashlar dressings, timber and lead bellcote. Nave with western
bellcote, chancel; vestry. The west end has a single splayed
buttress and a C19 door in chamfered opening with brick semi-
circular head and ashlar keystone. The bellcote is timber
boarded with a round dentillated cornice and a swept pointed lead
roof surmounted by a cross. Each face has semi-circular headed
openings with moulded surrounds containing louvres and on the
north side a trap door. The north side, is blank except for a
C19 ashlar dressing. There is a C19 vestry with 2 semi-circular
headed lights to the east. The east end of the chancel is
blank, but has a plinth and traces of a blocked east window can
be seen. The south side has 3 semi-circular headed windows with
timber fixed lights and one casement in 6 panes under brick
arches with ashlar keystones. One of the windows lights the
chancel. Interior is plain with elliptically headed chancel
arch and panelled ceiling with cornice. Over the west door is a
tablet inscribed "Queen Ann's bounty fell to this church in
MDCCXLIX." There is a plain memorial tablet in the chancel to
Major Gen. Bincliffe d. 1809.


Listing NGR: TF0947993643

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.