This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4387 / 53°26'19"N
Longitude: -0.403 / 0°24'10"W
OS Eastings: 506184
OS Northings: 394737
OS Grid: TF061947
Mapcode National: GBR TXMP.K1
Mapcode Global: WHGH2.ST9P
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 1 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166156
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196524
Location: Owersby, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8
District: West Lindsey
Civil Parish: Owersby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: North Owersby St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 09 SE, 8/44
OWERSBY, CHURCH LANE,
Church of St Martin
Parish church; totally rebuilt 1762 using medieval masonry, with
C19 alterations. Ironstone rubble, ashlar dressings, lead roof.
Western tower, tall nave, apsidal chancel. The 2-stage plain
tower which has a small square plan has two protruding base courses
and a stone band which runs round the whole church at cill level.
The cornice is coved beneath a flat lead roof. The 6-panelled
south door in the tower has a segmental head and above is a
hexagonally faced clock. The belfry openings have two lights under
a semi-circular head, with timber louvres. The west side of the
tower has one plain light, the north side is blank. The north
side of the nave has a coved cornice and a lead roof. The
fenestration consists of three C18 semi-circular headed lights with
a plain circle over. The east window has a similar window and
the south nave wall fenestration matches that of the north.
Between the westernmost pair of windows is a sundial on a worn
stone tablet. Interior: the tower porch has a C18 stair with
turned balusters. In the nave the windows are surrounded with
plain moulded plaster architraves. The double doors to the tower
porch are in plain moulded architraves and the upper panels have
open tracery in the Chinese style. The chancel arch is a wide
semi-circle with a keystone and the apse behind has a domed
ceiling with plain coved cornice. The ceiling has been removed
from the nave to expose the C18 staggered butt purlin roof and
large tie beams. The chancel has Minton floor tiles. Monuments:
there is one brass memorial to Rev. Neilson d.1827. At the west
end are two painted inscriptions to "John Richardson Churchwarden,
Rob Sheardown, Painter, 1764". The fittings are all C20. The
font is a C18 bowl on a bulbous pedestal.
Listing NGR: TF0618494737
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings