This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1546 / 53°9'16"N
Longitude: 0.0661 / 0°3'58"E
OS Eastings: 538254
OS Northings: 363937
OS Grid: TF382639
Mapcode National: GBR KVS.CHK
Mapcode Global: WHHKS.ZYNZ
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166170
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196129
Location: East Keal, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: East Keal
Built-Up Area: East Keal
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: East Keal St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
EAST KEAL CHURCH LANE
TF 36 SE
5/6 Church of St. Helen
Parish church. C13, C14, restored and rebuilt externally with
tower of 1853-4 by Stephen Lewin. Greenstone, ashlar, rendered
and yellow brickwork. Slate roofs. Western tower, nave,aisles,
chancel, south vestry and porch. Ashlar tower of 4 stages, in
Early English style, with 5 lancets in an arcade to belfry stage.
Buttresses with crocketed gablettes. Plain parapet. Single
lancet to third stage. Geometric style window to second stage.
West door of 4 shafted orders and dogtoothing. North aisle has 2
light window to west and 3 two light early C19 Gothick windows to
north side. Yellow brick chancel, with C19 3 light east window.
The south side has a 2 light C19 window in chancel, and 2 similar
in the nave. C19 gabled porch, with pointed outer arch, and
chamfered reveals. The inner doorway has late C14 reveals with 2
orders, having ballflower and figured ornamentation, and
decorated imposts, recut C19 double chamfered pointed arched
head. Interior. C13 4 bay nave arcades with octagonal piers and
capitals on north side, with double chamfered arches, human head
stops to hood moulds and details. The south arcade has
quatrefoil piers with annular capitals and nail head decoration.
C15 tower arch with octagonal responds, capitals and double
chamfered arch. The C19 tower windows have dogtoothing to the
rear arches, collared side and central shafts and inner trefoils
and quatrefoils. C13 chancel arch, octagonal responds and double
chamfered arches. C19 arch braced king post roof to nave.
Fittings all C19, apart from the C16 octagonal font with floriate
carved side panels and grotesque supporters. In the south aisle
an early C17 wall monument to Susanna Kirkman, with a crudely
carved figure, elbow resting on a skull, set in a classical
surround with fluted Ionic pilasters and cornice. In the north
aisle the bust in marble of a wigged gentleman, Peter Short,
d.1681, set into a pointed recess at high level, presumably from
Listing NGR: TF3825463937
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings