History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Toft Newton, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3726 / 53°22'21"N

Longitude: -0.4217 / 0°25'17"W

OS Eastings: 505104

OS Northings: 387358

OS Grid: TF051873

Mapcode National: GBR TYHF.HQ

Mapcode Global: WHGHG.HHF9

Entry Name: Church of St. Michael

Listing Date: 1 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166203

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196539

Location: Toft Newton, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Toft Newton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Newton and Toft St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Market Rasen

Listing Text

TF 08 NE TOFT NEWTON MAIN STREET
(Newton by Toft)

11/59 Church of
St. Michael

1-11-66 II*

Parish Church; C12, C13, C14, C16, restoration of 1860 by James
Fowler of Louth. Roughly coursed limestone and ironstone rubble
with ashlar quoins and dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped
gables and cross fleury to ridges. Nave with western bellcote,
chancel, south porch. West end has single C19 lancet and C19
gabled ashlar bellcote with single bell opening. On the north
side of the nave the blocked 3 bay arcade visible. It is lit by
2 C19 lancets and a single C19 2 light window. Towards the east
end is a chimney stack the top part in ashlar with foiled
quatrefoil decoration. The east end has a single C19 2 light
window. The south side of the chancel has a 2 light late C13 2
light window with recut Y tracery. The nave has 3 light C16
window with roll moulded reveals and four centred head. The
south porch and south doorway are C19 Early English style. The
interior: The blocked late C13 3 bay north arcade has octagonal
columns and plain capitals. The chancel arch is C12, small and
narrow with no decoration. All furnishings and fittings date
from the 1860 restoration as does the stained glass in chancel
and east end. The floor is partly of Minton tiles. The font
is a plain octagonal bowl on a C19 base. Monuments: In the
chancel, in C19 plain alcoves on either side of the altar are 2
miniature C14 stone effigies. That on the north is of a lady,
hands in prayer and feet resting on a dog. Inscribed in
Lombardic script is her name "Helaine", On the south side is a
male civilian with his feet on a woolstack, inscribed "William".
Both figures lie on small coffin shaped slabs and have been
colour washed.


Listing NGR: TF0510487358

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.