History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Collins Cross Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Matching, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7856 / 51°47'8"N

Longitude: 0.2011 / 0°12'4"E

OS Eastings: 551920

OS Northings: 211956

OS Grid: TL519119

Mapcode National: GBR MFY.3MS

Mapcode Global: VHHM8.FCPZ

Entry Name: Collins Cross Farmhouse

Listing Date: 12 November 1980

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166206

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118149

Location: Matching, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Matching

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Matching

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Hatfield Heath

Listing Text

TL 519 119 MATCHING COLLINS CROSS
Collins Cross Farmhouse
3/46
12.11.80 II

Hall house, c.1500, altered in C17 and C20. Timber framed, plastered,roofed
with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay hall aligned approx. N-S with storeyed
parlour/solar end to N and storeyed service end to S. Inserted axial chimney
stack in S bay of hall, c.1600. External chimney at N end. External chimney
stack at S end with large bread oven to SW of it, with gabled roof. Lean-to
extension to W of hall and parlour, with lean"-to porch in SW angle. Single
storey with attic at S end, remainder of 2 storeys. Frame partly exposed
internally. Jowled wallposts, curved bracing trenched to outside of studs.
Central tiebeam of hall removed, exposing lap dovetail tying joints with entrant
shoulders. Original joists of parlour/solar end arranged longitudinally, raised
approx. 18 cm at N end. Floor at service end wholly rebuilt in C20, but with
mortices for soffit tenons visible, showing that originally it was similar to
that of N end. Floor inserted in hall c.1600. Roof of service end of clasped
purlin construction, with massive curved wind braces. Walls of hall and parlour
solar end raised by approx. 1 metre in C17, and roof rebuilt, clasped purlin
construction. Evidence of large hall window on W side. Studs of partition
between hall and parlour fully exposed, with 3 tenons and mortices to support
former fixed bench on S side. Bread oven of elliptical plan, larger than usual
domestic size, complete except for door, C18.


Listing NGR: TL5192011956

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.