History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Wing of Cowleys School

A Grade II Listed Building in Donington, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9049 / 52°54'17"N

Longitude: -0.1992 / 0°11'57"W

OS Eastings: 521209

OS Northings: 335686

OS Grid: TF212356

Mapcode National: GBR HVP.Y5Q

Mapcode Global: WHHM0.X79V

Entry Name: North Wing of Cowleys School

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 13 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166210

English Heritage Legacy ID: 198147

Location: Donington, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE11

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

Civil Parish: Donington

Built-Up Area: Donington

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Donington St Mary and the Holy Rood

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Donington

Listing Text

DONINGTON SCHOOL LANE
TF 23 NW
(north side)
North wing of
2/31
Cowleys School
25.10.51 (formerly listed as Donington
Cowley's Secondary School)

G.V. II
School hall and classroom. 1861. Red brick with ashlar
dressings, plain tile roof, with raised stone coped gables,
finials and kneelers, one ashlar stack. L-plan. Single storey,
6 bay front, the right hand bay advanced and gabled. Plinth,
stone bracketed chamfered eaves. Buttresses with raked tops. To
right a Tudor arched door with moulded ashlar reveals, above a
stepped ashlar panel containing foliage, inscription and date
1861. Above is a 3 light mullioned and transomed window. To
left are 4 two light and a single 3 light similar window. All
windows have chamfered ashlar surrounds. In the gables are 2
small square lights with diamond set quatrefoils. Interior of
the hall has a fine hammer beam roof with moulded ashlar corbels.
Built as an addition to T. Cowley's original foundation of 1719.


Listing NGR: TF2120335712

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.