This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9752 / 51°58'30"N
Longitude: 0.7474 / 0°44'50"E
OS Eastings: 588796
OS Northings: 234316
OS Grid: TL887343
Mapcode National: GBR RKN.3RR
Mapcode Global: VHKFH.WMZ4
Entry Name: Cook's Green
Listing Date: 12 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166276
English Heritage Legacy ID: 114845
Location: Lamarsh, Braintree, Essex, CO8
Civil Parish: Lamarsh
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Lamarsh Holy Innocents
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 83 SE
4/56 Cook's Green
House. Circa 1600, extended in early C19 to form 2 cottages, now combined.
Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing N,
with internal chimney stack against S wall. Extended to right in early C19,
with internal chimney stack at end, and slate-roofed lean-to extension beyond.
One storey and attics. 4 C20 casements and 3 more in swept dormers. One
boarded door, one half-glazed door, both C20. The interior has jowled posts,
exposed heavy studding with arch-braces trenched inside at the corners,
transverse and axial beams chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, and plain joists
of horizontal section. Diamond mortices for 2 unglazed windows near front right
corner of original building. Smoke-blackened rafters re-used in roof. The roof
was thatched until 1983.
Listing NGR: TL8879634316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings