History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Round House

A Grade II Listed Building in Harlow, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7728 / 51°46'22"N

Longitude: 0.1428 / 0°8'34"E

OS Eastings: 547939

OS Northings: 210406

OS Grid: TL479104

Mapcode National: GBR LDK.T2S

Mapcode Global: VHHM7.FPBV

Entry Name: The Round House

Listing Date: 12 January 1983

Last Amended: 26 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166304

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118166

Location: Harlow, Essex, CM17

County: Essex

District: Harlow

Town: Harlow

Electoral Ward/Division: Old Harlow

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Harlow St Mary and St Hugh with St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Harlow

Listing Text

TL 479 104 MATCHING LONDON ROAD,
The Round House
2/35 (formerly listed as the Round
12.1.83 House Cottage under Harrow Tye)

II

Lodge cottage, late C18, extended in early C20. Timber framed, plastered, roof
thatched. Octagonal, with central chimney stack, in 2 rooms at each floor,
built as 2 cottages, now combined. Extension to SE with chimney stack at
end, early C20. Minor lean-to extensions to NE and W. 2 storeys. Pyramidal
stop roof, extended with a gable to SE All existing doors and windows C20. On
upper floor of NW elevation a blocked window, designed externally to resemble a
four-petalled flower, with a diamond-shaped frame visible internally through
wallpaper. A similar diamond-shaped window in. SE elevation, visible through
wallpaper inside the extension. In the tithe award of 1849 this building was
occupied as 2 tenements (then in the parish of Harlow). It is marked on the
First Edition 1" Ordnance Survey c.1802. Originally it was a lodge cottage on
the western approach to Hubbards Ball, although this access is now interrupted.


Listing NGR: TL4793910406

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.