History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brandon Old Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hough-on-the-Hill, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0247 / 53°1'28"N

Longitude: -0.6535 / 0°39'12"W

OS Eastings: 490412

OS Northings: 348338

OS Grid: SK904483

Mapcode National: GBR DNR.9MM

Mapcode Global: WHGK2.Y70J

Entry Name: Brandon Old Hall

Listing Date: 19 February 1952

Last Amended: 14 September 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166332

English Heritage Legacy ID: 193186

Location: Hough-on-the-Hill, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Hough-on-the-Hill

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Hough-on-the-Hill All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Hough on the Hill

Listing Text

SK 94 NW HOUGH-ON-THE-HILL BACK LANE
BRANDON (east side)

Brandon Old Hall (Formerly
3/96 listed as Brandon Old Hall
19-2-52 and garden wall)
G.V.
II*
House. Early C16, 1637, C18, C19, C20. Coursed dark gold bands of
ironstone, light gold bands of ironstone, narrow bands of blue lias
and limestone ashlar dressings, slate, plaintile and pantile roofs with
stone coped gables, finials, slight kneelers and 2 coped stone ridge
stacks. L-plan with C16 and C17 west range and lower C18 and
C19 range at rear. 2 storeys and garret, 5 bay west front. Ironstone
banded wall and window, below first floor moulded stringcourse of C16.
Inserted rectangular headed doorway with ashlar surround and panel door
to south with single rectangular window to south and 2 rectangular
windows to north. All the windows are of 3 pointed stone lights with
moulded mullions. Upper storey, includingnarrow bands of blue lias
added in 1637 as were the quoins. 5 windows with 3, three light mullion
windows alternating with 2, two light mullion windows. Between the
second window from the north and the third is a datestone inscribed "1637 PRE"
South return of early C17 masonry with first and second floor moulded
stringcourses. Low C20 ground floor rectangular bay windows with a
3 light mullion window above and another 3 light mullion window with a
moulded cornice in the gable. East front has a central doorway inserted
into mullion window, with plain door and moulded cornice above. Say
to the south of 1637 with 3 light mullion window with moulded cornice and
another 3 light mullion window above. Banded masonry begins just south
of door with a 3 light mullion window with cornice to north, another
3 light mullion window above and 2 light mullion window over door. Small
C20 dormer with casement over north bay. C18 and C19 brick extension to
west with irregular fenestration, C20 casements with glazing bars and
wooden lintels. Doorway in north return.
Interior has fragmentary screens passage, and a mutilated chamfered and
straight angled cut-stopped beam spans hall fire opening. Staggered butt
purlin roof.


Listing NGR: SK9041248338

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.