History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Edenham, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7932 / 52°47'35"N

Longitude: -0.4519 / 0°27'6"W

OS Eastings: 504485

OS Northings: 322864

OS Grid: TF044228

Mapcode National: GBR FT2.SP6

Mapcode Global: WHGLC.112Y

Entry Name: Stable Block

Listing Date: 30 October 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166342

English Heritage Legacy ID: 194093

Location: Edenham, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, PE10

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Edenham

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Edenham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Irnham

Listing Text

EDENHAM GRIMSTHORPE PARK
TF 02 SW
Stable block
6/119
30.10.68
G.V. II

Former stables and riding school, now 2 flats and garages. Late
C17, possibly altered by Sir John Vanbrugh, remodelled 1959 by R.
J. Page. Ashlar, Collyweston hipped roof with lead dressings, 2
ashlar ridge stacks with moulded tops. 2 storey, 9 bay front
arranged 3:3:3, the middle 3 bays being recessed. First floor
band, plain parapet. Central rusticated basket carriage arch
with stepped keyblocks, with panelled doors, flanked by single
side panelled doorways with plain ashlar surrounds and keyblocks.
Beyond are single panelled doors with plain overlights having
eared architraves with stepped keyblocks, flanked by single
glazing bar sashes. To first floor are 2 keyed blank oculi with
beyond further single plain oculi which are flanked by glazing
bar sashes. To the centre of the parapet a scrolled cartouche
bears the date of 1959 and the Ancaster cypher, surmounted by a
coronet. Probably part of the building works commissioned by the
Second Earl of Lindsey after the Restoration in 1660.


Listing NGR: TF0448522864

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.