This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0801 / 54°4'48"N
Longitude: -2.2745 / 2°16'28"W
OS Eastings: 382135
OS Northings: 464939
OS Grid: SD821649
Mapcode National: GBR DPK8.C5
Mapcode Global: WHB6K.1Q50
Entry Name: Langcliffe Hall, Stables and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 20 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166388
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324241
Location: Langcliffe, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD24
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Langcliffe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Langcliffe St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 86 SW
5/2 Langcliffe Hall,
Large house. Dated 1602 with late C17 and 1860s alterations, and stable block c1710.
Slobbered rubble, stone dressings, slate roof. Hall: west entrance front 3 storeys
4 bays. Central entrance has elaborate moulded architrave, pendants, urn-like finials
and decorated lintel in a style similar to that at the Folly, Settle (qv).
An earlier date stone is described ANO:DNI:
E:R:44:1 Late C19 plank door. To left and right is
a chamfered cross window with ovolo mullions and transoms with a similar but 3-light
window on the extreme left and continuous hoodmould. Remaining windows are c.l860
in C17 style; C19 sashes. End bay to left and right has c1860 gable with quatrefoil
and trefoil respectively. Left-hand gable end ridge stack and ridge stack to right
of centre. South garden front c.1860 in rock-faced stone. At rear, scattered
fenestration includes several C17 windows: two 3-light chamfered mullioned and
transomed windows with hoodmoulds, 2 chamfered cross windows and two 2-light chamfered
mullioned windows (one with hoodmould). Interior was extensively remodelled in the
1860s. Stable block at right-angle to entrance front. 2 storeys 6 bays. Entrance
to left of centre has rusticated architrave flanked by Doric pilasters with a frieze
and guttae. Carriage entrance to right has segmental-arched head and smaller entrance
to right of this has moulded architrave. Four ground floor and six upper floor cross
windows have moulded architraves and flat faced mullions and transoms; C20 casements.
First-floor string course. Projecting quoins at left-hand gable end and to right
of fifth bay. Left-hand gable has coping and shaped kneelers. Gatepiers to west
entrance have large ball finials and C20 plank gates. In garden is re-set lintel
dated 1660 with initials IC and doorway with moulded architrave and keystone dated
Listing NGR: SD8213564939
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings