History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Corner House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weobley, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1604 / 52°9'37"N

Longitude: -2.8753 / 2°52'31"W

OS Eastings: 340218

OS Northings: 251712

OS Grid: SO402517

Mapcode National: GBR FC.63D8

Mapcode Global: VH77K.3YSP

Entry Name: The Old Corner House

Listing Date: 20 February 1953

Last Amended: 10 November 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166418

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149904

Location: Weobley, County of Herefordshire, HR4

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Weobley

Built-Up Area: Weobley

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Weobley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Dilwyn

Listing Text


SO 4051 - 4151 WEOBLEY CP BROAD STREET (west side)

14/122 The Old Corner House
(formerly listed as
House opposite to and
20.2.53 south of Red Lion Hotel)

GV II*

House, now house and shop. C15, floor inserted C17, with some mid-C19 altera-
tions, extended late C20. Timber-frame with painted brick and rendered infill
on a coursed rubble plinth under a tile roof. L-plan, hall range extending to
south, cross-wing to west, extended to west C20 with a moved C17 barn. Chimney
stack inserted in hall range on axis with back to the former cross-passage.
East front has the hall range of one storey with attic lit by gabled dormer
and a 2-light casement. Jettied cross-wing to right gabled, of two storeys
with a 2-light casement under a plank weathering to the first floor. Ground
floor has two square bay windows flanking an entrance with. a two-leaf half-
glazed door. Framing: the jetty continues along the north side of the cross-
wing. The hall range is three square panels high, the cross-wing four square
panels high with curved angle braces. The gable end has three struts to the
collar. The angle braces form two pointed arches below the gable. The jetty
is supported by curved braces, with a larger one rising from a moulded capital
to the dragon beam. The moved barn, now part of the house and shop, is three
square panels high with slender curved angle braces. (RCHM, 3, p 199, no 23).


Listing NGR: SO4021851712

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.