History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Wickham, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8982 / 50°53'53"N

Longitude: -1.1796 / 1°10'46"W

OS Eastings: 457793

OS Northings: 111290

OS Grid: SU577112

Mapcode National: GBR 99H.NLS

Mapcode Global: FRA 86FQ.L9D

Entry Name: The Rectory

Listing Date: 1 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166432

English Heritage Legacy ID: 146284

Location: Wickham, Winchester, Hampshire, PO17

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

Civil Parish: Wickham

Built-Up Area: Wickham

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Wickham

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Wickham

Listing Text

WICKHAM SOUTHWICK ROAD
SU 5711
10/60 The Rectory
II

House. Early C18, minor features of the early C19, wings and alterations of
c1860, rear porch c1900. Walls of brickwork in Flemish bond with blue headers,
red dressings; plinth, rubbed flat arches, aprons below cills. Hipped tile roof,
Modillion eaves cornice. Symmetrical west front elevation of two storeys and
attic, five windows, with two-storeyed lower wings set back at each side, of one
window. Sashes, some original, some in reveals of the early C19, some Victorian
sashes, with a splayed stone ground-floor bay at the north side, sashes to the
three dormers, beneath pediments. The doorway is of two phases, the radiating
fanlight and stone steps being original, the later parts having a Gothic style,
including an open pediment with panelled soffit, thin mouldings of a Tuscan Order,
clustered columns and half-columns. The original end elevations are masked by
the wings, which have hipped roofs, corner pilasters, and irregular features.
At the rear there is a two-storeyed porch with arcading, protecting an original
doorway, with a fanlight, and ground-floor casements. Inside, two rooms are
almost completely panelled, and the original staircase has been modified by later
rails (which may be copies). A fragment of wood panel, recently discovered,
appears to be the remains of a packing case, and has lettering including the name
of the Rev. Bromley, who began his ministry at Wickham in 1733.


Listing NGR: SU5759011437

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.