History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Bilbrough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9119 / 53°54'42"N

Longitude: -1.1945 / 1°11'40"W

OS Eastings: 453012

OS Northings: 446499

OS Grid: SE530464

Mapcode National: GBR NR36.6F

Mapcode Global: WHDB3.MXFX

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 12 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166664

English Heritage Legacy ID: 325929

Location: Bilbrough, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

Civil Parish: Bilbrough

Built-Up Area: Bilbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Marston Moor

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Bilbrough

Listing Text

SE 54 NW BILBROUGH MAIN STREET
(south side)

2/13 Church of St James

GV II

Church. C14 south-east chapel, otherwise 1873. G Fowler Jones. Sandstone
ashlar with magnesian limestone plinth, quoins and window dressings,
magnesian limestone chapel, Welsh slate roof. North-west tower, nave,
chancel, north-east vestry and south-east chapel. Gothic Revival. 3-stage
bell-tower has north entrance: single sandstone nook shafts supporting arch
with cogged moulding. Slit windows to first 2 stages. Third stage ashlar
band. Twin round-arched bell openings to each side. Modillion cogged
moulding to heads in chamfered surrounds. South side: single, round-headed
window and pair of round-headed windows all in similar surrounds to north
side. East end occupied by 2-bay chapel. Centre and diagonal buttresses.
2 pairs of straight-headed windows with Perpendicular tracery to the heads
within double-chamfered surrounds. To west end of chapel: blocked pointed
doorway in chamfered surround, a single light, straight-headed window with
Perpendicular tracery with recut quatrefoil window above in double-chamfered
surround. To east end of chapel 3-stepped round-arched windows in double-
chamfered surround under badly weathered quatrefoil light. Chancel: vestry
and one window to north, 2 windows to south, all as other C19 windows. East
end: 3 round-arched windows under quatrefoil light. Interior of chapel
contains altar tomb to Thomas, 3rd Baron Fairfax, d 1671. Magnesian
limestone ashlar and marble. In pieces awaiting restoration at time of
listing. Another of the C16. Magnesian limestone ashlar. Surrounded by
scaffolding at time of listing. Pevsner, North Yorkshire, The West Riding,
1979, p 100-101.


Listing NGR: SE5301246499

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.