This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9223 / 53°55'20"N
Longitude: -1.0911 / 1°5'27"W
OS Eastings: 459788
OS Northings: 447732
OS Grid: SE597477
Mapcode National: GBR NRT2.LQ
Mapcode Global: WHFC9.6NPZ
Entry Name: Ruined Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 12 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166742
English Heritage Legacy ID: 325951
Location: Bishopthorpe, York, YO23
Civil Parish: Bishopthorpe
Built-Up Area: Bishopthorpe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bishopthorpe St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 5847-5947 BISHOPTHORPE CHANTRY LANE
3/36 Ruined Church of
Ruined church. 1768. Attributed to Atkinson for Archbishop Drummond.
Pinkish-orange brick with magnesian limestone ashlar facade. Gothick style.
West wall, foundations of nave, trandsepts and chancel walls and traceried
head of one window now remain. West end: full-height angle buttresses with
off-sets surmounted by crocketed pinnacles. Badly wesathered, Tudor-arched
central doorway under hood-mould, quatrefoils in the spandrels. To either
side, an ogee-headed niche with head stops ornamented it crockets and
finial, that to left containing fluted columnar pedestal with capital and
traces of Gothick decoration in flutes. To first floor: 3-light, pointed
window under hood-mould with head stops and little remaining tracery.
Above: bell turret crocketed to left and with cross at apex.
Listing NGR: SE5978847732
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings