This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9838 / 53°59'1"N
Longitude: -1.8887 / 1°53'19"W
OS Eastings: 407398
OS Northings: 454203
OS Grid: SE073542
Mapcode National: GBR HQ7C.XN
Mapcode Global: WHB79.Y4T8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323722
Location: Bolton Abbey, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bolton Abbey
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
BOLTON ABBEY B 6160
SE 05 SE (east side, off)
8/68 Church of St Mary
Church, originally the nave of the Priory. Late C12, C13, C14 and C16.
Restored 1875-60 by G E Street. Ashlar, coursed squared stone, lead roof.
C12 - C13 nave and north aisle. C16 uncompleted tower hides the C13 west
front. Nave: south side has pointed arched blank arcading, above 6 tall
adjoining narrowly-set 2-light pointed arched plate-traceried windows with
quatrefoils, transomed with continuous hoodmoulds. Corbels, embattled
parapet. North side: aisle has a board door under a pointed arch with a
cusped crocketed niche above. Three 3-light C14 Decorated pointed arched
windows with sill band, hoodmoulds and buttreses between. The clerestory
has 4 lancet windows, continuous hoodmould. West front: double board door
in deeply splayed portal with 3 orders of colonnettes. The arch has
dogtooth mouldings. It is flanked by similar smaller arches with blind twin
sub-arches within, quatrefoils in the spandrels between the sub-arches.
Trefoils in spandrels between main door arch and side arches. Above blind
cusped arcading. Above the door central blind elliptical opening flanked by
pointed arches, all with dogtooth moulding, below continuous hoodmould.
Above again 3 tall pointed arched lancet windows, set in moulded arches on
colonettes. West front of tower: gableted offset angle buttresses,
decorated plinth, pointed arched door in moulded surround, flat hoodmould,
in spandrels shields set in quatrefoils. Above door trieze, Perpendicular
in style with alternating shields and shoulder-headed niches. Door and
frieze flanked by blank arcading. Above a large 5-light transomed
Perpendicular window, with crocketed ogee-headed hoodmould. Interior:
arcade of 4 bays, octagonal piers with circular one between. Triple-
chamfered arches. Shafts on small corbels rise from level of the stops of
the hoodmoulds to the ceiling. Wall built at east of nave after
Listing NGR: SE0740154204
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings