History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Margaret of Antioch

A Grade II Listed Building in Hawes, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3033 / 54°18'11"N

Longitude: -2.1973 / 2°11'50"W

OS Eastings: 387259

OS Northings: 489758

OS Grid: SD872897

Mapcode National: GBR FL3P.25

Mapcode Global: WHB5M.63YC

Entry Name: Church of Saint Margaret of Antioch

Listing Date: 25 March 1969

Last Amended: 9 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166758

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323147

Location: Hawes, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Hawes

Built-Up Area: Hawes

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Hawes

Listing Text

HAWES GRUEL STREET
SD 88 NE
(south side, off)
20/124 Church of Saint Margaret
25.3.69 of Antioch (formerly listed
as Church of St Margaret)
GV II
Church. 1851. By A B Higham. Rubble, Westmorland slate roof. Decorated
style. West tower, nave with aisles and north and south porches, chancel
with south vestry. Quoins. Tower: 3 stages; offset diagonal buttresses;
clock on second stage; 2-light belfry openings on third stage; stair turret
on south-east corner; 3-light west window. Gabled porch with chamfered
pointed arch. Nave: 5 bays. Offset buttresses. 3-light windows. Copings.
Chimney at east end. Chancel: 2 bays. Vestry in angle between nave south
aisle and chancel, curved wall with 2-light mullion window. 4-light east
window. Interior: 5-bay arcades of tall Early English-style piers and
double-chamfered arches. Double-chamfered tower and chancel arches. A few
monuments predate the church, including 1 over north door with Latin
inscription commemorating Reverend Charles Udal, d1782, priest at Hawes
1750-81, erected by his pupils. Parish bier at back of church. Furniture
of c1930 and later by Thompson of Kilburn. The church replaced a smaller
one nearer the road.


Listing NGR: SD8725989758

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.