History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church House

A Grade II Listed Building in Grassington, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0719 / 54°4'18"N

Longitude: -1.9981 / 1°59'53"W

OS Eastings: 400221

OS Northings: 463992

OS Grid: SE002639

Mapcode National: GBR GPHC.63

Mapcode Global: WHB6P.8XS9

Entry Name: Church House

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166821

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324773

Location: Grassington, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Grassington

Built-Up Area: Grassington

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Grassington

Listing Text

GRASSINGTON MAIN STREET
SE 0063-0163
(west side)
10/20 Church House
10.9.54
GV II
House, now public hall and chapel. Dated 1694, with C19 and C20
alterations. Coursed gritstone rubble, graduated stone slate roof. 2
storeys, 3 first-floor windows and projecting gabled bay to right. Main
range: central board door in chamfered quoined surround, the large lintel
is cut to a segmental arch and has raised lettering, " A " with cross
S P
and heart motifs. Recessed chamfered mullion windows throughout, of 4
lights to left of door and of 6 lights with a king mullion to right. A
continuous stepped drip moulding overall. To first floor: a 2-light window
with hoodmould; mullion removed and sill lowered when a 20-pane sash was
inserted, a 4-light and a 3-light window to right under a continuous
hoodmould. Between the first-floor windows there is a stone plaque,
possibly a former sun-dial, with C20 clock. Bay to right: C19 and C20
openings. Interior: entrance onto the side of a large fireplace with
voussoired arch and side oven, the stack removed . The house has been
attributed to Stephen and Alice Peart but the surname of the builder more
probably began with A. During the C18 it became a livery stables, the
Chapman family working from the house and stables in the C19. After a
period as a Temperance Hotel the building was bought by the church in 1924
and consecrated for worship. S. Brooks, A History of Grassington, 1979,
p35.


Listing NGR: SE0022163992

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.