This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0972 / 54°5'49"N
Longitude: -2.2754 / 2°16'31"W
OS Eastings: 382089
OS Northings: 466848
OS Grid: SD820668
Mapcode National: GBR DPK2.50
Mapcode Global: WHB6K.08SV
Entry Name: Taitlands, Garden Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 20 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324357
Location: Stainforth, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD24
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Stainforth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Stainforth St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 86 NW
2/17 Taitlands, garden wall
House, now Youth Hostel. 1840s. For Thomas Joseph Redmayne in Greek Revival style.
Ashlar, slate roof. Central staircase plan. 2 storeys 3 bays. Central entrance
bay breaks forward slightly and is rusticated at ground floor, banded rustication
of upper floor. Ionic entrance portico on 4 fluted columns and cast iron balcony
above. Two 3-panel doors, glazed rectangular fanlight and imitation rusticated
voussoirs. Ground floor windows have bead moulding on sills and recessed 15 pane
sashes. Similar outer windows on upper floor but lower with sashes; sill band.
Central upper floor window has moulded surround. Left and right hand pilasters.
Eaves modillions are more closely spaced over central bay and end pilasters. Two
ridge stacks to hipped roof in the style of the Webster firm at Kendal. To right
is 1848 2 storey 2 bay service wing set back from facade of house. Interior:
entrance hall has paired Ionic columns of wood and decorated plaster ceiling. Large
fireplace in kitchen of main house is dated 1841 with initials TRJ. Fire surround
in service wing has imitation datestone dated 1848. In left-hand garden is Tuscan
sundial base c.146cm high with pronounced entasis and inscribed TR 1840 on base;
dial and gnomon now gone. Each entrance to the curved driveway has a pair of gate-
piers with pyramidal caps flanked by a curved stone wall linking two additional
posts on each side.
Listing NGR: SD8208966848
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings