This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.089 / 54°5'20"N
Longitude: -1.979 / 1°58'44"W
OS Eastings: 401469
OS Northings: 465904
OS Grid: SE014659
Mapcode National: GBR GPM4.BY
Mapcode Global: WHB6P.KHT3
Entry Name: Yarnbury House
Listing Date: 23 March 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1166872
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324780
Location: Grassington, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Grassington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
GRASSINGTON OLD MOOR LANE
SE 06 NW
2/27 Yarnbury House
House and office, now house. Probably late C18 with early-mid C19
extension and alteration. Grey gritstone rubble, grey slate roof. 2-
storey, 2-bay original house defined by quoins, extended by 1 bay to left
and with an added bay (former cottage?) to left again. Central porch
added mid C20, the door surround reset from the body of the house; C20
panelled door with fanlight in plain stone surround with keystone.
Fenestration: C20 small-pane frames throughout; slightly projecting plain
stone surrounds, one to each floor left of entrance, 2 to right. Larger
small-paned window above the entrance. The walling has evidence of a
blocked doorway far left and between the right-hand windows both to ground
and first floors. Stone gutter brackets, plain kneelers, gable copings; 4
ridge stacks: at the ends of original building, to left of the present
entrance bay, and to left of the windows to far left. The 2 right-hand
bays may have been built for agricultural or industrial purposes in the
C18; the lead mining industry on Grassington Moor underwent considerable
changes from 1779 when Cornelius Flint, the Duke of Devonshire's Mineral
Agent, undertook the construction of new drainage systems. Either Flint or
his local agent lived at Yarnbury House and had offices in the building.
In 1818 John Taylor became the Duke's Chief Agent and he appointed Captain
Larratt from Cornwall to be the local agent. The extensions to the house
possibly date fron this period of expansion in the mining industry and the
large window above the entrance is said to have lit the office where the
agent did business with the miners. The period 1828-33 was another time of
great expansion in construction (e.g. Barratt's Incline, q.v.) A.
Raistrick, Lead Mining in the Mid Pennines, 1973, pl10.
Listing NGR: SE0146965904
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings