History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Dog Wheel

A Grade II Listed Building in Bewdley, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3763 / 52°22'34"N

Longitude: -2.3119 / 2°18'42"W

OS Eastings: 378866

OS Northings: 275403

OS Grid: SO788754

Mapcode National: GBR 0BC.Y2K

Mapcode Global: VH91S.WJ5Q

Entry Name: The Dog Wheel

Listing Date: 22 April 1950

Last Amended: 27 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166874

English Heritage Legacy ID: 156725

Location: Bewdley, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY12

County: Worcestershire

District: Wyre Forest

Civil Parish: Bewdley

Built-Up Area: Bewdley

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Wribbenhall

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Bewdley

Listing Text


SO 7875 SE BEWDLEY CP KIDDERMINSTER ROAD (south side)
Wribbenhall

13/83 No 6 (The Dog Wheel)
[formerly listed as
22.4.50 No 6 (The Homestead)]

GV II

House. Early C17 extended 1733 with mid-C19 and some late C20 alterations.
Timber-frame, rough-cast, with tile roof. C17 range to front, C18 placed
parallel to it and behind, slightly projecting at west (right) end. Two
storeys, with attic lit by two gabled dormers, first floor and attic jettied
with console brackets; two windows: timber cross-windows; ground floor: two
16-pane sashes, central entrance with C20 door; to right a C18 porch set back
against rear range is flat-roofed, two storeys, blind window to upper, band
above semi-circular headed opening to ground floor; door in wooden architrave
to rear of porch is C17 with decorative strap hinges and studs, rainwater
head on porch inscribed "1733/ B/ IA". Rear elevation has rubbed brick
heads to windows and keystones. Interior: open well staircase with turned
balusters, moulded hand rail and closed moulded string. Dog wheel preserved
in kitchen, but machinery to drive spit removed. Some C17 panelling survives
in the front left-hand room; on first floor rear room to right (in C18 part)
completely panelled with large raised and fielded panels.


Listing NGR: SO7886675403

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.