History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Mary the Virgin

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston Candover, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1699 / 51°10'11"N

Longitude: -1.1333 / 1°7'59"W

OS Eastings: 460691

OS Northings: 141538

OS Grid: SU606415

Mapcode National: GBR 968.N8T

Mapcode Global: VHD0M.9VQK

Entry Name: Church of St. Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 17 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1166960

English Heritage Legacy ID: 138968

Location: Preston Candover, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG25

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Preston Candover

Built-Up Area: Preston Candover

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Preston Candover with Nutley St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
North Waltham

Listing Text

SU 64 SW PRESTON CANDOVER & NUTLEY ALRESFORD ROAD
19/29
Church of St Mary
the Virgin

II

1884-5, by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Early English style, with chancel, nave, narthex,
north transept (vestry) north aisle and a north-west tower. Steeply-pitched red tile
roof. Flint walling with stone dressings and brick banding; buttresses, hood-moulds,
flush and projecting bands, plinth. The smallest windows in the northex are 4-cusped
lights in square stone frames. Most windows are lancets but there are larger windows
(of 2-lights in the transept, 3 to east window and 4 to west window) with traceried
lights. The tower, of 3 stages, has a slender broach spire, stone bands corner
buttresses with stone set-offs and brick quoins. The interior walling is in red
brickwork, with sparse stone dressings, the pointed arcade resting on cylindrical
columns, with square moulded caps and bases. The exposed timber roof has arch-braced
trusses, resting on stone corbels, the chancel being ceiled with painted panels.


Listing NGR: SU6059741587

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.