History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bewdley Institute

A Grade II Listed Building in Bewdley, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3753 / 52°22'31"N

Longitude: -2.3159 / 2°18'57"W

OS Eastings: 378590

OS Northings: 275302

OS Grid: SO785753

Mapcode National: GBR 0BK.393

Mapcode Global: VH91S.TK1F

Entry Name: The Bewdley Institute

Listing Date: 24 March 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1167065

English Heritage Legacy ID: 156790

Location: Bewdley, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY12

County: Worcestershire

District: Wyre Forest

Civil Parish: Bewdley

Built-Up Area: Bewdley

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Ribbesford with Bewdley and Dowles etc

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Bewdley

Listing Text


SO 7875 SE BEWDLEY CP LOAD STREET (south side)

13/145 Nos 21, 22 and 23
(The Bewdley Institute)

24.3.70

GV II

House, now club and two shops. 1632, partly rebuilt mid-C19 with some late
C20 alterations. Timber-frame with rendered infill, rebuilt in brick with
planted framing and ashlar dressings, machine tile roof, stacks in ridge.
Two storeys with attics lit by casements in the two gables to left and right,
central gablet above a roof light; gables have C17 carved bargeboards and
finials; four windows: 3-light casement and three 5-light casements, that to
right under jettied C17 gable; ground floor: brick, carriage entrance to left
with segmental head and engaged stone columns, three windows: 5-light case-
ment to left, then two 3-light casements, all with stone dressings, entrance
to shop to right of centre has a 2-pane overlight and glazed door, entrance
to other shop is to left of right window with overlight and half-glazed door.
Framing: in front only survives to right gable, which is close-studded.
On the lower of two collars the date 1632 and on the tie-beam "M/ WB".


Listing NGR: SO7859075302

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.