History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Linton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.065 / 54°3'54"N

Longitude: -1.9937 / 1°59'37"W

OS Eastings: 400508

OS Northings: 463229

OS Grid: SE005632

Mapcode National: GBR GPJF.5K

Mapcode Global: WHB6W.B3V0

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1167172

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324803

Location: Linton, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Linton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Grassington

Listing Text

LINTON CHURCH ROAD
SE 0063-0163
(east end)
10/49 Church of St. Michael
and All Angels
10.9.54
GV II*
Church. C12 with C14-C15 extensions, restored 1861 by John Varley of
Skipton. Squared blocks and rubblestone, graduated stone slate roof. 4-
bay nave with short square west bellcote, north and south aisles, 3-bay
chancel with north and south aisles. Buttresses with offsets to all sides.
South porch of 1861 in Gothic style, 3 south aisle square-headed windows
with paired trefoil lights, 4 nave clerestory windows of paired trefoil
lights, restored 1861. Bellcote of ashlar, on 2 tiers of 3 corbels with
cornice and paired moulded segmental-arched belfry windows below a
pyramidal roof with cross finial. West end: 3-light with curvilinear
tracery, Y-tracery window to south aisle. Chancel: south aisle doorway and
3 windows restored l861, Gothic style. East window: 3 lights below a
trefoil, under deep pointed-arched hoodmould, restored. Interior: 2
circular piers to east end of north nave aisle, with round-arched arcade;
the remaining piers all octagonal (2 to north aisle, 4 to south aisle, 2 to
chancel) with double-chamfered pointed arches. Chancel arch also pointed
but on Normann-style imposts. Cylindrical font; remaining fittings date
from 1861 restoration.


Listing NGR: SE0050863229

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.