History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II Listed Building in Hanley, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2841 / 52°17'2"N

Longitude: -2.5144 / 2°30'52"W

OS Eastings: 365002

OS Northings: 265226

OS Grid: SO650652

Mapcode National: GBR BV.Y7P1

Mapcode Global: VH84M.CVKD

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 27 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1167331

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149250

Location: Hanley, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR15

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Hanley

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Teme Valley South

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Hanley Child

Listing Text

HANLEY CP HANLEY CHILD
SO 66 NW

4/57 Church of St Michael
5/57 and All Angels


GV II


Parish church. Built in 1807 on site of older building, altered 1864.
Sandstone rubble and tufa with sandstone ashlar dressings, brick dentilled
eaves cornice and plain tiled roofs. Base of west tower and continuous
nave and chanel. Base of west tower was retained after upper part fell
down in 1864; it was gabled continuing the main ridge and given a gabled
bellcote pierced with a pointed-arched opening in which is hung the single
uninscribed bell; the base forms the entrance porch and has a pointed door-
way in its west elevation. Nave and chancel: two large lancets in south
elevation and one in north elevation, all with plain glazing; to east of
north window is a large raking buttress. Y-traceried window in east end
which has retained its original quarry-leaded glass. Interior: plastered
throughout; oak panelling with frieze at east end and north-west of nave.
Early C19 altar rails with turned balusters and fluted posts. Mid-C19
octagonal stone font with pointed-lobed quatrefoil decoration. A small
simple early C19 church situated in close proximity to Court Farmhouse (qv).
(VCH 4, p 271; BoE, p 188).


Listing NGR: SO6500265226

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.