History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Deacons Cottage ye Old House

A Grade II Listed Building in Orleton, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3 / 52°18'0"N

Longitude: -2.7466 / 2°44'47"W

OS Eastings: 349186

OS Northings: 267138

OS Grid: SO491671

Mapcode National: GBR BJ.XBHJ

Mapcode Global: VH84H.BGV5

Entry Name: Deacons Cottage ye Old House

Listing Date: 11 June 1959

Last Amended: 11 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1167429

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150125

Location: Orleton, County of Herefordshire, SY8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Orleton

Built-Up Area: Orleton

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Orleton

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Orleton

Listing Text

ORLETON CP KINGS ROAD (south side)
SO 4967
10/103 Ye Old House and
Deacons Cottage
(formerly listed
11.6.59 as Vaughan's Bakery)

GV II

House. C16, partly rebuilt C17 with some early C20 alterations. Timber-
frame with painted brick and rendered infill on a coursed rubble plinth
under a tile roof. T-plan, cross-wing aligned north-west/south-east,
subsidiary range to north-east. Lateral stack of rubble with brick shaft
on south-east wall of cross-wing and north-west wall of other range.
North front of two storeys with jettied cross-wing to left. First floor
has one plus one windows, both 2-light casements. On ground floor two plus
two windows, two 2-light casements, a 3-light casement, and to right a 3-
light horizontally sliding sash. Entrance of Deacons Cottage in east gable
end, of Ye Old House in west return front. Framing: three square panels
high to subsidiary range. Cross-wing of two square panels high on each
floor, the deep jetty supported by curved brackets. Curved arch-braces
to tie-beam, three struts to collar, king-post above, with clasped purlins.
(RCHM, 3, p 158, no 4; Parkinson, J and Ould EA: Old Cottages, Farm houses
and other half-timbered buildings in Shropshire, Herefordshire and Cheshire,
1904, pl 33).


Listing NGR: SO4918667138

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.