This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7825 / 53°46'56"N
Longitude: -1.0712 / 1°4'16"W
OS Eastings: 461299
OS Northings: 432195
OS Grid: SE612321
Mapcode National: GBR NSYP.WT
Mapcode Global: WHFD2.J643
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 14 November 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167630
English Heritage Legacy ID: 325842
Location: Selby, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Selby
Built-Up Area: Selby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Selby St James
Church of England Diocese: York
ST JAMES' TERRACE
5342 Church of St James
SE 6132 SW 4/144
Foundation stone laid 6th May 1866. Designed by and endowed at the expense of James
Audus the younger, the prominent local philanthropist, and amateur architect.
A good example of the principles and taste of the Ecclesiological Society, and
an outstanding achievement by a little-known amateur.
Hammer-dressed stone. Ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof. Tile cresting.
Nave, chancel, lean-to aisles, "transepts", porches and west tower. Early English
style, with richly "Ecclesiological" interior.
1. Exterior. Boarded doors with ornamental wrought iron hinges. Viking-style wrought
iron boot scrapers.
2. Interior. Exceptional wood and brass lectern. Marble reredos. Good organ
chest, with ornamental wrought iron hinges and stencilled patterns. Good woodwork,
especially the characteristically mid-C19 clerks desks and stalls. Very distinctive
and delicate ironwork surrounding pulpit, to communion rail, and for curtains on
inside of porch doors.
Listing NGR: SE6129932195
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings