This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0919 / 51°5'30"N
Longitude: -1.4557 / 1°27'20"W
OS Eastings: 438216
OS Northings: 132655
OS Grid: SU382326
Mapcode National: GBR 744.JSL
Mapcode Global: FRA 76V7.DQJ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 29 May 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167714
English Heritage Legacy ID: 140833
Location: Little Somborne, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO20
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: Little Somborne
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Somborne with Ashley St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
LITTLE SOMBORNE LITTLE SOMBORNE
SU 33 SE
5/12 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Redundant church. Saxon C11 nave with C12 features, C12 chancel long demolished.
W bellcote. Rendered rubble flint with stone dressings, colourwashed, old plain
tile roof and weatherboarded bellcote. E end probably altered C17 when chancel
demolished, wall built under chancel arch with 3-light ovolo mullioned window.
Above arch 2 restored late C12 painted lancets, probably reset from chancel. To
N wall at E remains of pilaster strip with wooden lintel indicating remains of
door. E of centre is late C12 squareheaded light with rebate. W of centre
similar squareheaded doorway with chamfer and C17 door. High set to W behind
glazed sheet is roundheaded Saxon window minus some dressings. Beside is
complete pilaster strip. On S to E large C13 pointed lancet with chamfer and
rebate for timber frame. To E of centre, opposite other, is squareheaded late
C12 light. To W of centre is late C12 roundheaded door of chamfered order with
label and imposts. To W C19 large rectangular window, high set. Near W corner
remains of strip pilaster. W end has C14 pointed 2-light trefoiled window with
quatrefoil over. Above square-plan bellcote with hipped roof containing bell
date 1604. Inside walls stripped of plaster and floor removed, partly replaced
by flagstones. E wall has C12 pointed chancel arch, probably of 2 orders, inner
has shafts with small scalloped capitals, and abaci hacked off. On S side of
arch small roundheaded niche or possible reset C12 window. Above wide splays
to lancets. Widely splayed roundheaded arches to E of centre windows. SE C13
lancet has wide splay. Cambered heads to rear archer of doors. C19 SW window
has beside blocked Saxon window matching that to N. Pointed splayed rear
arch of W window. Cl7 queen strut roof with curved struts and paired windbraces.
Built into this frame for bellstage and bellcote, posts C20. C19 font. VCE;
Vol4; p 482. Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p322.
Listing NGR: SP3428632629
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings